Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right. This is for my experienced compatriots. I have one lovely strong hive that last year, and now, seems bent on making brood. They have filled OUT a deep. They are boiling over with bees.

I have added an excluder and a super sprayed with sugar syrup, and they refuse to use it. They will chew up the wax and take it below. But they will not draw it out and fill it.

This happened last spring, too. I used a different super with same results. They are getting ready to swarm, so I know they have plenty of help.

I do not have any drawn out super frames, they are all new, but the nectar flow is strong right now. Other hives are rocking right along. But this one hive wants to make babies, not honey. Pre drawn plastic frames are not an option according to DH. All our supers are small, and he refuses to buy the mediums. :rolleyes:

What can I do to get them honey making? Or should I split them and use them to start rearing queens?

Thanks,
Summer

·
Registered
453 Posts
So they are in a single deep? Have you tried not using the excluder?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, in a single deep. When I tried double deeps, I had mixed results. Most just made more brood and no honey. I wound up splitting all of the double deeps I tried. One deep seems to work just fine here. I am south of you, daknoodle, so my winters are even more temperate than yours.

Hate to ask the dumb questions, but WHY would I want to remove the excluder? If I want honey, I want brood free honey in my super. I'm sure there's an obvious answer there, but I'm having a dial tone sort of morning. Beeeeeep! :doh:

Thanks,
Sum

·
Registered
760 Posts
bees will swarm before they draw comb about an excluder -

id take out the excluder if im putting on foundation - after you have drawn comb in your supers then you can use the excluder

- the bees will not let the queen up into honey - but if she needs brood room she they will let her lay in any cell-

hope this helps

also are you planing on running a extractor this year?? if not you can just cut out the honey and leave the brood - they will be distincly seperated

·
Registered
453 Posts
Honestly, the queen needs to fill up as many frames as she wants before they will do honey production.

There is a reason the traditional hive has two deeps and then supers on top. Its not just about wintering, but also giving them enough room for a full broods nest. (note: I use either double or triple width horizontal hives for the broods nest and then super over that. All medium sized equipment)

I think you are just about begging for swarming if you are going to limit them to just a single deep with a queen excluder.

If by last year you had poor results means that you didn't get a honey crop, most didn't in Texas. At last several of those I talked to, did not. It wasn't the greatest year for a honey crop. Now thats not to say that that was true for everyone here. I'd recommend trying again with the double deeps. Granted, I prefer just three mediums for the broods nest when working vertically and all same size equipment. I also don't use excluder's for any hives, but that is simply a personal choice.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Hmmmm...some thoughts....
1. If this is year 2 of growing but no honey, I might consider requeening. I've had queens that were brood producing machines but not really honey makers.
2. I run single deeps, too, with excluders. I haven't seen any problems with them drawing out foundation with the excluder on. If there is a flow on or you are feeding well, they draw it. The drawback, as you probably know, is that an exluded single deep needs to be check weekly for swarm cells. I open mine every Monday, pinch off queen cells and close her up. Keeps the hive packed with honey producers. Once the flow is over, they stop trying to swarm, especially after I put empty supers on and let them keep whatever honey they make the rest of the summer.
3. Are you willing to write off honey this year for honey next year? One of my hives last year acted similar to yours. I placed an un-excluded medium super on top w/foundation. I just let them move up, build out, lay brood and some honey. Then when they had built it out, I pushed all the bees down, put an excluder on and let that brood hatch. They then started filling that super with honey. I got lucky though. Wasn't expecting any honey really. I figured they'd build it out and I'd have a filled out super for next spring. This early in the year, that hive is on its 2nd medium super and looks to produce 3.
Hope this is somewhat helpful...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Take a frame out of the brood chamber and put in a frame from your super. They should draw it out fairly quickly. Then take that frame and put it back in the super. This will bait them into the super and they should start drawing out the foundation on either side of it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
There is a reason the traditional hive has two deeps and then supers on top.
Yet another dumb question...do they ever need 3 deeps? If so, how do you know in advance?

First packages ship in two day. Waiting sucks. Want packages now. Wife tired of hearing about packages arriving in X days. Are they here yet? Want packages now. Is everything ready? How many days left?...Can you tell that I'm excited?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yet another dumb question...do they ever need 3 deeps? If so, how do you know in advance?

First packages ship in two day. Waiting sucks. Want packages now. Wife tired of hearing about packages arriving in X days. Are they here yet? Want packages now. Is everything ready? How many days left?...Can you tell that I'm excited?

The dumb question is the one not asked, hehe. I have heard on a rare occasion of people doing 3 deeps, but its not the norm. I would say 2 is safe and from there, no excluder, just start supering. But of course the excluder is a personal choice.

I know what you mean about the anticipation, happens to me every time I'm getting a nuc or a package. In fact, I'm going to see Hambone tomorrow to do some more splits and I'm very excited.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts