Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to hear what is going on with the hives right now so I can compare.
Are you doing anything with them? Thier activity? Blooms (not much I know)?
Any other important relative information.

We have been having unusual warm weather (feels more like spring in PA) - a blessing from God.
Bees are pulling in lots of pollen (poplar?).
Been feeding syrup though I haven't been in the hive yet. Still wrapped.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I got a call from a friend who said her top box was too heavy to lift and would I help her reverse. I lifted off the very full of bees top box only to discover just as many in the bottom box. I set the top in it's original place and advised her to go through it frame by frame when the weather is a bit warmer, to pull a few frames with eggs and brood to give to her what I think is a queenless hive and replace with undrawn foundation.

Bees are busy with pollen - in other hives yesterday I saw what looked like fresh nectar. I won't unwrap for another few weeks. Some of my boxes are full of bees - just what is needed to make honey! Now to keep them out of the trees. Remember it is still early April in Maine.

Report from Hancock & Washington Counties.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess there is more blooming than I noticed.
Poplars, Birch and maples are starting. Things are a little earlier this year (I try to keep records).

Rainy weather has set in but the bees are out anytime there isn't atual rain falling it seems. From what I can tell from external observation the hive is carrying a high population. I plan to go in next time we get some 60+ temps and good weather. These are Italian bees by the way - or at least that was what was sold me in the packages. The queen is tanish brown without much banning and the brood has a lot of darker bees mixed in. I have been very happy with this queen. Looking over my records about 24 days of placing the package on foundation she had layed 4 frames of brood (this was last year).

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts