Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m curious to from what point others start seeing significant brood production and to what point your main flow is how long you have. I’m on gulf coast we have brood in early February and main flow for me (tallow) isn’t until May-June gives my bees plenty of time but if your up north spring comes later and winter comes earlier.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I would see (if I dared open them) brood by mid-February up here in northern NY. I have at least two or three frames of brood by mid April and my hive population is back on the upswing by then. We already have nectar and pollen, though not every day. For the net 6-7 weeks, the flow varies from OK, to only mildly a surplus. (That partly depends on how useful the fruit blossom period is - sometimes it goes by very quickly. By the third week in May, and from then through to the first or second week of July, I have a constant surplus, with June probably being the heaviest period particularly in a good year for black cherries, locust, and basswood.

The middle of July to early August it slows down again to subsistence, but as soon as joe-pye weed and goldenrod start in mid August, we're off the the races again until the mid-end of September, and the end of the season with asters. We don't typically have a summer dearth, more of just short summer slow-down after the bees pack in the locust and basswood. It takes them a couple of weeks to dry down all that nectar.

It always amazes me how the same creatures can adapt so easily to such radically different climates as NY and AL.

Nancy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts