Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been waiting on new Russian queens for 3 weeks now. Had 7 in the mail 6 days ago and they are obviously are lost. Checked my hives today and the one that I was most concerned about is gone, except for the robbers that are still getting a little honey. This is a nuc that was building up slow with a Mn hygenic queen. All I have left are about 13 frames of drawn out comb. It still has some pollen stores.
What happens to the bees that are in the hive, do they join the robbers or what? Three weeks ago I seen brood in this hive, now nothing.:scratch: Yes they are mostly Italian hives.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I was told one time to Close the entrance along with the robbers for a few days and they will think its their new home!...Is all this rain helping us any valleyman?? :D

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Too late for this hive, no queen, no brood, no eggs, not many bees. Never seen one go so quick, so far. My strongest hive is still building comb and storing honey in a new super. From the robbed hive I'd bet. So maybe I lost the hive and not the honey.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I think that is the case you lost the hive, but not the honey.

Once robbing got started the neighboring hive would be in the best position to gain most of the honey, even if they weren't the ones who started the robbing.

Knock out the few remaining bees and protect your drawn combs from wax moths. You can reuse the combs again later.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats about all thats left for me to do at this point. At least I've got some drawn comb. If I could get a package of Russians I might try to put them on the comb and feed them heavy.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Why not make a split with one of your new queens? Take brood and bees from the other 6 hives and replace the frames with the robbed out frames. :scratch:

·
Registered
691 Posts
What happens to the bees that are in the hive, do they join the robbers or what? Three weeks ago I seen brood in this hive, now nothing.:scratch: Yes they are mostly Italian hives.
I had a weak hive robbed out last week. That hive had a lot of "black butt" bees unlike any others I have. Well those little black butt bees are now in many of my other hives. I often see them trying to enter strong hives and the defenders fighting with them. I have no idea where the queen went. She was starting to lay real well.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought that they might have followed the robbers back home. I don't know what happened to the Queen in this one either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts