Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'd read on hear about electric embedding tools, and how easy they were to make.

Well, I had a spare 12v transformer around (old printer power supply or something). 12v, 750mA... little light on output (I think 1.5A would be better).

Anyways... cut the plug off, stripped the ends of the leads... one lead clipped to the frame wire, the other lead just touched to the other end of frame wire.

Hold on for a couple seconds (like I said... I think my transformer output was a little low)... melts the wire right in. Works like a charm.

Total cost... zero!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Excellent!

I just use an old car battery... don`t even have to plug it in. But you gotta watch it. Just a few seconds too much and it melts the wire until it breaks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya... I didn't want to go nuts with a power supply. I'm gonna keep my eye out for a higher output supply, since I'm sure I've got one or two kicking around.

But first I need to build a proper jig to hold the frames while putting in the wax foundation and melting it in.

Do you melt with wax ontop of wire, or wire ontop of wax?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Do you melt with wax ontop of wire, or wire ontop of wax?
When I`m doing deep frames for brood, I snake the wax in so one wire is on each side. I think that`s stronger. When I`m doing mediums with only one wire I embed with the wire visible (on top).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Awesome! One of those "why didn't I think of this" moments. I just rooted around in my electronics crap box and found a 12V 1.2a supply. I can't wait to embed some foundation!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts