Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I haven’t posted in quite awhile but regularly read the posts. I got my first bees last May (2 hives) and am happy to say that both made it thru the winter with flying colors. Going into the winter, one hive was fairly small with 3 mediums and the other had a ton of bees and 6 mediums. I call the small one “The Little Engine that Could” because all looks fine and there is the same proportion of bees to brood/stored honey as the large one.

Fast forward to about a week and a half ago. The big hive and the queen are going CRAZY! Two Sundays ago, my beek boyfriend and I saw 3 Queen cells in the big one (none capped) so we were able to put together a small hive with some extra wooden ware. I placed a large order of just about everything I was out of and this past Saturday, there were more Queen cells (capped plus filled And uncapped). I now have 5 hives. We added another medium to the gonzo hive and I placed another order for some inner covers, stands but mostly a lot of foundation and frames.

The two originally hives still have their queens (we’ve seen both every time we’ve inspected since the weather has gotten above 50) so I guess we’ll see what happens. Quite frankly, I have been amazed at what bees are capable of. Tonight I’m returning from a business trip (left on Sunday) so looking forward to my next hive inspection!

Denise

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Good job Denise. I had not seen you posting in awhile and was fearing the worst. Glad that not only did they survive, but they are strong enough to split hard.

For the record, woodenware is like ammo, you can never have "enough".

·
Moderator - In Memorium
6,888 Posts
Or June. I was in Crivitz, WI one year when all the corn froze in mid June. Wife said to heck with that and we sold the 43 acre farmette we had bought a few years earlier.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks John! I ordered quite a few frames (some to replace the frames that my BF supplied) so hope they last me awhile. What are the chances that the additional 3 hives will thrive? Each had at least 2 queen cells. A couple of them were uncapped but there was definitely brood in them.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
6,888 Posts
Temps have been pretty good this past week and should stay that way. As long as you put plenty of bees in the splits, the chances are pretty good. Your capped cells should have emerged by next Sat or Sunday, so look then for the cell to be opened. If so, give it another 2 weeks before going back in. I expect to be grafting this weekend (finally) and making a few more walk away splits. I finally got a laying queen in a nuc that failed the first go round to raise one due to weather. Capped cells in two others. Let the good times roll!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts