Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Ive worked a few Lyson hives and they're good hives. The most important things are low mite counts, stores, and a healthy queen with solid brood patterns going into fall. With those three things covered bees will thrive in just about any hive.

·
Administrator
11,678 Posts
At least some vendors selling Lyson (polystyrene) hives are shipping them with plastic frames.

Many have found that plastic frames are shipped with minimal wax coating, and you and your bees will be happier if you add additional beeswax before adding bees.

I don't have experience specifically with Lyson products, but there are plenty of threads at Beesource on adding wax to plastic frames to get bees to accept them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive worked a few Lyson hives and they're good hives. The most important things are low mite counts, stores, and a healthy queen with solid brood patterns going into fall. With those three things covered bees will thrive in just about any hive.
What did you do for ventilation - not sure how many top vents to leave open if any. I i will probably just have one of the nine inner cover vents uncovered. What do you succeed with?

·
Registered
16ish hives
52 Posts
It happens again and again. Birds hack holes and the bee colony dies. Bird protection nets are important. Probably the most important.
Are you in Germany? Lyson is more popular in the EU it seems.

We run the lyson boxes exclusively and I love them. This will bee year 3 for 6 of them and I just set up another yard with 6 more.
The early boxes are different in what they offered for inner covers. Those ones came with a poly inner cover with 7 grated vent holes and poly discs to control venting.
The latest boxes came with mylar sheets or at least they are now offered as inner covers.

So far Here in WNY, no problems with birds chacking holes in them but did have mouse nibbles on one and will be putting hardware cloth on the rear where the tray slides out.
We have one black vent in on the front for winter, down from 2 for summer. I just read its important not to set up with a cross-breeze which I did not know.
I still have some questions myself on them as they didn't really come with instructions namely venting :

Use the poly nesting insert with the 7 grey plastic grates in the winter? and cover 4 of them with the poly discs to close off 4 of 5. Or not.

Use mylar vented sheets as an inner cover and then just close off #? of vent plugs. Which is how the last 6 boxes came.
We have not had to feed over winter but I'm not sure how I would put a candyboard in there, I have put pollen patties in but that was messy with the Polly nest inner cover. Only did that once.

MJC417 perhaps you could expand on your venting strategy??
Zo0

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
A bit off topic but.....I just got going a Polish Paradise polystyrene hive from BlueSky in Ohio. It is for outside my office desk, very exposed to cold fog and wind. I did not like the highly restrictive sliding entrance that it came with, so I just cut a standard block to give it a wide 3/8" high slot. Painted inside and out as recommended. I have a Beemax hive on the deck also and at another bad climate site.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
I run several Lyson 6-frame nucs (often 2-3 high) in the mountains of TN (2K'). Winter of 20-21 I brought some tiny colonies through winter in them with no losses. Last year I over-vented and winter was long and normal (few mornings into low teens F in March) and I lost a few. I'm keeping some 10-frame wooden boxes for various reasons, but all expansion last year and this year is Lyson 6-frames. I have about a dozen and will be buying 4-5 more soon. Put a good coat of paint on the outside and at least with the 6-frames, I can't say enough good things about them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm in progress of preparing 2 hives of Lyson from Better Bee. Outside painted with two coats of good acrylic paint, inside will spray with propolis tincture (30%) as precaution for chewing. Because I'm not fan of screened bottom board -I'm closing that opening with foam. I do not ordered top cover ( will use cloth cover or plastic film - depends of season). There won't be any top openings over winter time. BTW - Polystyrene hives are widely used in EU.
Plant community Plant Wood Rectangle Tree
Plant Grass Rectangle Gas Font

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm in progress of preparing 2 hives of Lyson from Better Bee. Outside painted with two coats of good acrylic paint, inside will spray with propolis tincture (30%) as precaution for chewing. Because I'm not fan of screened bottom board -I'm closing that opening with foam. I do not ordered top cover ( will use cloth cover or plastic film - depends of season). There won't be any top openings over winter time. BTW - Polystyrene hives are widely used in EU.
View attachment 71237 View attachment 71238
You mean inner cover from plastic film, not top cover, right?

·
Registered
16ish hives
52 Posts
View attachment 71237 View attachment 71238
I have a few questions you could answer.
I see the black foam you have cut to close off the bottom, very nice . You also close the top cover vents entirely with the white styro plugs correct?
Do you leave the entrances as pictured as well?
So the only place air enters is the front entrance, yes?
Have you used this configuration always or is it new this year?

I am always interested in how other Lyson owners do this as there is precious little info about the finer points of these hives.
Thank You.
Sue

·
Registered
40 Posts
#1. - Yes - I do not have top ventilation openings.
#2. - No - I'm planning to keep them with openings up (like up side down on picture). Reason - as on my winter set-up any entry reducer is placed with opening facing up because less possibilities that falling dead bees can block ventilation.
#3, - yes.
#4. With Lyson hives - it is new (ordered 2 of them to testing some theories). With standard Langstroth hives - not new. Example - for years I do not use screened bottom boards. I do not lifting back of telescoping cover during summer to "give them more ventilation".
From my point of view - the finest thing about these hives is R- value.

·
Registered
16ish hives
52 Posts
Thank You for that detail.
In the past, we used the feeders as quilt boxes and left one vent open, bottom screen closed.
This year on the new yard , all Lysons, when we added the second deeps we did not use the mylar or the plastic excluders or inner covers ( or propilis traps i think they marketed as but no bees get through ) and in every hive the bees propolized the open vents. We just noticed that yesterday. Interesting.
Sue

1 - 16 of 16 Posts