Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - Hives are booming here in NorCal now that we have a break from the rain. A few weeks ago I'd checked one of my hives and found it to be broodless but with a queen. Kind of odd as my other hives had all started to have increasing amounts of brood. I added a frame of brood from another hive to bolster the population and let time pass. I checked again today and found some scattered drone brood (capped and uncapped, so eggs laid after I added the frame) but no worker brood. The same queen was wandering around merrily. I figure I either have a drone laying queen, a LW hive that has a queen in it (seems odd), or just a slow starting queen (after all, it's still winter).

My practice with LW hives has always been to shake them out as it's not worth the effort to try to save them. But it seems odd that the hive would go LW when there is a queen. I'm thinking I give it another couple weeks then requeen. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
sounds like a drone laying queen. did the frame of brood you added have eggs/just hatched larvae? probably best to pinch the queen and add eggs or a new laying queen.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Are you familiar with the appearance of capped drone brood in worker sized cells?
Laying workers usually show multiple eggs per cell with many placed on sides of cells rather than bottom.

You can have both laying workers and a drone layer queen at the same time plus queen cells being constructed on drone pupae. I imagine that scenario to be pretty rare and it sure did have me scratching my head as to what was going on. Queen laying nicely placed eggs in worker cells but I finally noticed they were being capped as bullet nosed drones. Doh!:doh:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Drone layer. Requeen, or give a frames with young larvae, or do a newspaper combine. A lot depends on how many worker bees are in the hive.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Are you familiar with the appearance of capped drone brood in worker sized cells?
Laying workers usually show multiple eggs per cell with many placed on sides of cells rather than bottom.

You can have both laying workers and a drone layer queen at the same time plus queen cells being constructed on drone pupae. I imagine that scenario to be pretty rare and it sure did have me scratching my head as to what was going on. Queen laying nicely placed eggs in worker cells but I finally noticed they were being capped as bullet nosed drones. Doh!:doh:
Talk about a nightmare scenario!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts