Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any luck luring a swarm already flying or up in a tree into a baited box? I always find the ones up in a tree fly away.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,887 Posts
I tried it last year with one of my swarms that landed waaay up in a tree. No luck.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
I walked into one of my yards last year right as a hive was swarming.It settled low in a tree about 15 ft away.I just happened to have my swarm collecting box in the van so I took a frame of open brood from the swarming hive,scooped a few hand fulls of bees from the swarm,put it all in the swarm catch box and hung it in the tree adjacent to the swarm.
Came back the next day to find the frame of brood and just a few stragglers.

Checked a swarm trap about 150 ft away and there was the swarm moved in.
Not only that, I had swarm(thinking after swarm) in another trap about 1/8 of a mile away.Both traps had been empty the previous day.

So my conclusion is that a colony about to swarm may send out scouts well before they leave the hive.Have you ever gotten a swarm call only to hear or find that the swarm is gone after only a few hours?
Most of Tom Seeley's work was done with artificial swarms but he also suggest's that what we see as a swarm is just a temporary bivouac where the bees assemble and then leave to inhabit a cavity that was decided on well in advance.

But then there are times when a swarm can be induced in to a swarm box.Just goes to show that there are not always finite rules for beekeeping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts