Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked into building some nucs and found the above mentioned material @ 3.50 for a 6' piece.
Could not resist. It is still green, wet, once cut on the table saw it showered me:)
Built the nucs, painted the end grain, and now I am letting them dry out slowly.
For the price and not needing to paint them completely it is worth a try.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Looked into building some nucs and found the above mentioned material @ 3.50 for a 6' piece.
Could not resist. It is still green, wet, once cut on the table saw it showered me:)
Built the nucs, painted the end grain, and now I am letting them dry out slowly.
For the price and not needing to paint them completely it is worth a try.
I think they would be great if they don't warp all up when dried....I do not see any problem with the thinner boards as long as the inside measurements are followed

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
They will be thin at the hive wall where the frame rest gets cut, but no problem, just glue on an extra piece about 2" wide across the end of the box that will also make the handhold.

Edit; If green and wet the boards will shrink a fair bit in drying and may be dicey on beespace if you cut them exactly to 6 5/8" width. Give them some extra allowance for drying! Been There!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts