Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the S.E. corner of NC and have a ton of "Smooth Sumac" -Rhus Glabra- blooming. Anyone else been noticing this?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Amen to that, in central VA its taking over, growing 7 to 8 feet from brush in my yard to my apple trees...tomorrow they will die!!!!!(would have been today but it rain). Most of it is where my new hive yard is going.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would you kill the Sumac-it is a great honey plant?
Howard

·
Registered
376 Posts
As long as it stays out of the yard, off my fruit trees and aways from the kids it can live where it wants. However in my case, its decided to grow everywhere there was lots of said, taking the water from the other plants and trees....I am talking wall of sumac, got rid of about 25% of it tonight. Not to mention, I dont have any bees atm.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Advantages:
Free. Smolders well and not too hot. Easy to get around here. Works well with pine needles. Free. :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
I noticed today they were bringing in two different colors of yellow pollen; light yellow and dark yellow. The light is smooth sumac( on it's second bloom ) and goldenrod. Staghorn sumac is also in bloom and the kudzu is finally in full bloom, thanks to plenty of rain the last two weeks. Although I haven't seen them on the kudzu at all. I have a location in up north with soybeans a mile away in two directions, need to check that out. I'm hoping all this will get them built up good for winter. We never lack for pollen, just nectar.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It was ready to bloom when i took bees to sourwood and it set there for four weeks and still had not bloomed when i removed the bees. I have never seen it set there and take that long to bloom. I think the earlier post where he said it was in the yard ,he was talking about poision sumac(what we call poision oak) not the bush like we are talking about that makes good honey. I am seeing light and dark yellow pollen coming in and the goldenrod is starting to bloom.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts