Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm new to this. I just installed a package of Russians and I noticed a LOT of drones. I've only installed one other package of Italians and I don't remember seeing any drones, but I don't know if that was just because it was my first ever experience with bees. It was a bit cold (55 degrees or so) and none of them seemed that active. The first package immediately starting fanning the area. With these, a few (mostly drones) came out and just laid in front of the entrance reducer. The queen wasn't inside the package when they were sent so this is the first day with their queen (still in cage).

So I guess two questions:

Normal for lots of drones?
Normal for such a low energy?

Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should I do anything about the fact that I have drones. I don't think it is enough for a refund but I don't really know how that works.

They are more active now, but a LOT of dead bees at the entrance. Had to take out the entrance reducer because they completely blocked it up. Some aren't quite dead so I haven't removed them from the front. I think the night of rain and stress of being installed did them in.

I hope the rest are okay.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I picked up 2 GA packages here in MA on 3/27. Both contained the biggest drones I have ever seen or heard. 1 Hive superceded and the other is going gang busters. Not sure if it makes a difference. Kind of cool to sit and watch the bees and see/hear these Chinook type bees buzz by and bully their way into the hive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts