Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's hot here in SW La. and all my hives have beards. My hives are in the sun most of the day, but I was told you need that to help fight hive beetles. Anyway, is it normal for the ole fat boys to fly around and go in/out of the hive ?

Also, would like to know. Would it pay to buy bulk livestock salt by the bag, and really coat the ground good in front and around the hives? I am thinking this may break up the shb cycle as they go into the ground. I'm also thinking of placing black visqueen in front and around. I have also thought of bleach, and/or vinegar.

Has anyone tried this chemical warfare on the SHB ? I don't have them yet, I hope, just getting ready. Everyone says, it ain't if you get em, you will, just a matter of time. I want to put up a good fight on these rascals.

Best,

casper_zip

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The main purpose (that is known) for drones is to mate with queens.
They mate in the air so they have to leave the hive (they never know ahead of time when a queen will be out).
Since they only stay out for short periods they will always seem to be coming and going. I think they are normally out for about 15 minutes. They return, eat and go out again.

My personal opinion is if you don't have SHB then why do anything... not surprisingly a lot of "preventative medicine" will only lead to more medicine to fix what the preventative started ;)

Mike

P.S. Just an interesting bit - (if ABC XYZ is right) drone/queen mating areas remain the same for years (I think they cited one being 25 years). They change if the area changes (houses built or such). So for some reason the drones and queens know where to go though they have never been there before.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
"...break up the shb cycle as they go into the ground..."
dont poison your ground(maybe forever) over SHB. they can go a long ways to find suitable ground, and even if you succeed in poisoning the ground so far out they cant get past it, other SHB's will come to your hive-from miles away.
good luck,mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts