Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldnt keep up with extraction last season and wintered in triple deeps, they are packed with honey at least 1.5 deeps each of fully capped), I have not done much research on extraction of previous season honey and the difficulties that come with crystallization. Am I better off feeding this back to my nuc splits (4 currently, going to 16) or trying to extract them and put them back wet?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I couldnt keep up with extraction last season and wintered in triple deeps, they are packed with honey at least 1.5 deeps each of fully capped), I have not done much research on extraction of previous season honey and the difficulties that come with crystallization. Am I better off feeding this back to my nuc splits (4 currently, going to 16) or trying to extract them and put them back wet?
im in a similar situation and im planning to use for splits or freezing for winter feeding 2019

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I would leave it in hives or use it in splits. Spring is the time that the bees really start using up their stores so see what is left in 2 months. Also, do you know if the honey is sugar syrup or real nectar?

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
make your decision in the spring, good queens, with enough bees will use up most of that honey in the spring once they start going, use some in your splits when you make them and you should be fine, especially so far this has been a long cold winter so far here.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
make your decision in the spring, good queens, with enough bees will use up most of that honey in the spring once they start going, use some in your splits when you make them and you should be fine, especially so far this has been a long cold winter so far here.
its been very warm for us till this past weekend, but it is all nectar, I have not fed syrup for years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts