Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a first year beekeeper and live in Northwest Louisiana. It has been cold and wet for as long as I can remember this year. Today it was cloudy but not raining and about 55 degrees. I walked out to see if my bees were flying and noticed that one of my two hives had a wad of dead bees around the entrance. I pulled off the two hive bodies and found thousands of bees on the bottom board. A lot of the bees appeared to be dead and others were moving very slowly. A few were fanning their wings so I thought I would help by dumping out the bottom board into a tub and took them into my shop where it is warmer. I put out a line of Bee Pro to see if they are hungry and hope that I may save some of them. I had been feeding them Pro Sweet Liquid feed but it has been a couple of weeks since I fed them last due to the rain and my work schedule. Is there any hope for these bees?

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
could be any number of things but at first blush is sounds like starvation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Remember if they are short on carbs (syrup or honey), protein (bee pro) is going to be of no use to them. It sounds like they may be past the point of no return, but if there are live bees in the hive, syrup or a frame of liquid honey is going to be the only thing that may save them.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Starvation. They needed syrup. I had a hive in one of yards yesterday in that shape. about a pound of dead bees on the bottom board and the rest were desperately lethargic and not a drop of honey or syrup in the hive. I happened to have a pint of honey in the truck so poured it in. Within 30 minutes they were working strong.

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
They could have Chronic Bee Paralysis Virus, that is a classic symptom plus the weather keeping them inside. Look at that utube video that was posted recently from the National Honey Show 2018 speaker was Kirsty S. subject EFB AFB Chronic Bee Paralysis. Deb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0B9o4GHq7U

·
Registered
245 Posts
Same thing with one of mine in SW Louisiana, except I checked them two weeks ago and they were strong and busy. Had a couple of partial frames of honey left from winter stores. Checked two days ago and they were all dead on the bottom board. ? Another hive right next to it, still blowing and going.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts