Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 30 hives that are all doing the same thing. I have them on 300 acres of hay that is in full bloom and they are not building new foundation. They are back filling all there comb and making it so the queen is running out of space to lay. I have put new boxes and new foundation on 2 weeks ago and they won't build on it. Please help.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Break the brood nest up with empty frames. Elevate the frames from the lower to the upper and alternate drawn frame, empty frame. This will cause them to figure out that they have more room above them to work in. Some bees don't get the memo that there is more space available. Do it quickly or they will start making preparations for swarming before you know it.. Once they have a capped queen cell they will take off on you..

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I lived in Maybell Colorado (Spitting distance from Vernal Utah), for a lot of years. Most of Utah has the same climate as we do in Maybell. Now I do know that this is an unusual year as far as weather. But I doubt their is much of a nectar flow on right now in your area. Bees are not likely to swarm without a flow. So that is not a major concern for you. They will also not draw much comb without a flow! You certainly do not want them backfilling the brood chamber. but at this stage I doubt the stores will out produce the queen, But then again as I said the weather has been odd. I would simply move 2 frames up from the immediate perimeter of the brood pattern. and them move two down that should encourage the bees to draw the two down stairs to give the queen laying room, and let them know there is space upstairs available.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Take a few foundationless frames and put them in the brood nest. They like them better and will work them quicker. Unlike foundation that need to be drawn first, foundationless will instantly open up the brood nest.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Take a few foundationless frames and put them in the brood nest. They like them better and will work them quicker. Unlike foundation that need to be drawn first, foundationless will instantly open up the brood nest.
FlowerPlanter

I am a newbie for sure, but what you wrote (above) sounds backward to me. Did you mean for it to be the other way around? If not, please explain further as I do not understand. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesswarmcontrol.htm#opening

If there is little or no flow the bees will not draw foundation and they will not consider it part of the brood nest. You will not prevent swarms with just foundation. An empty foundationless frame shows the bee there is room in the brood nest.

Plastic is even worse there has to be a good flow for them to work plastic frames. When I was new and had very little comb I had bees swarm while there was lots of empty undrawn plastic in the hive.

You can also open up the brood nest with empty drawn comb.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
What an individual hive draws fastest really seems to depend on the individual hive. Alternate foundation and foundationless (with comb guide) and see what your bees think.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Don't ever have reservations about foundationless frames; the bees will build them out very quickly and give the queen plenty of laying cells in only a day or two.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts