Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some disappointing news…I lost both of my hives this year :(
I’m not sure what happened. I lost one early one, but the other one seemed to have made it through the winter very well until about a week ago…I had even seen them flying around the hive (but was reluctant to open it because we often have cold days into march). But today I went out and they were all dead.

I already ordered supplies to start a new hive this year…but I don’t see the point if its just going to die again…I’m not one to let disappointments stop me from trying again, but I want to know if there is anything I could have done (and can do) to prevent this? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I'm sorry about your loss, I know it feels pretty bad. I lost my one first hive this winter too. I have two colonies coming soon to start over.

What can you do to prevent this, you ask- I suggest you do a lot of research and reading online and look at photos and descriptions of bee diseases and bee problems. It might help you identify what caused your bees to die when you examine the old frames and dead bees carefully. If you arm yourself with more detailed bee knowledge, perhaps you can have better luck this year.

I can't tell you how much I have learned from reading this forum and other bees sites online for the past 6 months... and I have a l-o-n-g ways to go still before I consider myself 'knowledgeable'. I hope I will never stop learning. :)

Also, tomorrow I am attending an all day beekeeping class, and a second class next weekend as well. Learning is good. :D

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
You said you were afraid to open them. Did you check to see if they had any food reserves?

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
"I already ordered supplies to start a new hive this year…but I don’t see the point if its just going to die again…"

Did you treat your bees for anything??

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you treat your bees for anything??
I treated for mites...and fed them. Honestly i probably should of done more but I guess I was inexperienced etc. I cleaned out the hive today and saw no visable signs of diseases, mites, or anything...

You said you were afraid to open them. Did you check to see if they had any food reserves?
Well I wasn't afraid to open them really but last year we had a blizzard in mid april, so I wasnt to sure. Its beggining to looks like I should have though, I think they starved to death :( believe me I feel aweful...

but I'm going to try to do my best to do everything right next year, and hopefully things will go better, and if not...well, I'll try not to blame myself...

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Don't give up. We all have to learn from our mistakes even when we have the experienced ones leading us.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Hi Olive,
Sorry to hear about you're bees.
There is a group breeding Indiana, Ill., & great lake bees. See if you can find them to order you're replacements. It might help a little.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I lost one of two nucs before arriving at the hives my first spring... A replacement nuc had honey running out of it at the post office. I left it there. There's more to the story, but you are not alone.

Chin-up!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Don't get discouraged. If you suspect starvation, try feeding your new hives even after the flow starts so that they can get a good start and then don't harvest any honey the first year.

Personally I doubt your new hive had mites sufficient to kill off the hive that quickly and medication is not necessarily the way to go in any case. It could be that the queen died for some reason late in the season and the colony could not produce a new queen that could be mated that late. When this happens, the hive may dwindle until it cannot survive the winter.

Persevere. And good luck. Susan

·
Registered
507 Posts
Open you hives and look inside and see if the bees are buried head first into the cells. If they are, then they starved to death. I would be curious. Please let us know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts