Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed package queens in to 6 hives... about 12 days ago. Today we did an inspection and 5 of the hives look great. eggs, larve and a few capped brood. One hive tho is queenless. We have a deep brood with a queen excluder and a medium super on top. There is no queen, no comb, no eggs, nada in the brood box. The super has many bees and they are making honeycomb and storing honey in it there.

If the queen didn't survive installing, why are the rest of the bees staying put? Figure they would have left for greener pastures. I hope I can get a new queen to introduce in a couple of days or should I not bother, that it's to late?

·
Registered
848 Posts
It's not to late.I'd leave the new Queen in the cage & let them release her,Also you could give them some brood from your other hives to keep them going Because of the time they have been Queenless.Mark,,,,,

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
A package I got was Queenless on inspection. I gave them eggs and open brood but only a tiny excuse for a Queen cell..can't be certain it is one as I am so new to this. Bees are content..packing in nectar and pollen. I put the funky looking Queen cell frame in a Queenless nuc and am picking up a Queen this afternoon. Hope they like her.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mark... great suggestion on taking some brood from another hive... the others are looking good so I can do that with out hurting them. Monday I'll start calling... hopefully the place I got my packages from has some backup emergency queens for these situations.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts