Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! New to the forum and new to bee keeping this year. I'm looking for advise on what I've got going on in my hive. I went to check on my girls today and noticed that the emergency queen cells did have larvae. I assume the queen is gone/died. I checked about three frames and found on queen cell looked laid open with this big larvae. It looks just like a huge version of the worker bee larvae. But I couldn't figure out why the queen larvae is not in a cell(if this is indeed a queen larvae.)
Also found a few other cells that had smaller larvae.
The girls seemed defensive when I pulled the frames with the queen cells. They covered the open larvae. I could hardly get a pic for them. They seemed agitated so I did not check more than 3 frames. I just closed the hive up.
I guess as a new beekeeper I'm just worried. I have no idea what to do. Do I requeen? Let then figure it out? Just at loss of what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
TJ
a745d8ea296ff81f0ca0e976e365c016_zpsa1f15d6e.jpg
6bac6877f340831fd539ba41ec51c0aa_zps248705f9.jpg

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
It looks like that one was damaged, If you have other queen cells started in there, it's ok to just leave them alone and they'll requeen themselves and the new queen will be laying again in about three weeks. The other option is to buy a queen and introduce her to the hive, but kill all the queen cells they've started before you do. Purchasing a queen will get them up and running quicker, but letting them just fix themselves works as well.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Perhaps the queen cell was damaged when you pulled the frame out...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know if he bees will rebuild it around the larvae? Just curious
thanks or the replies !

·
Registered
779 Posts
Unfortunately I think that particular queen is a goner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts