Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hive in Otis Mass (Western Mass, zone 5a-5b) recently died off and I’m trying to figure out where I went wrong. The queen is still alive and may be the last living bee on the hive.

The hive seemed to be a good cluster of bees through the winter but there was a sharp drop off in mid April (western mass and we have had dreary cold and rainy weather). the hive had ample reserves and there were no swarm cells.

At first i thought the hive had swarmed but i found my marked queen alive along with about one frame of bees. i gave them pollen patties and syrup, but after two weeks there has been no new brood and the hive has narrowed down to only a handful of bees and the queen (still alive). No swarm cells and no drones.

Does it make sense (or very uncommon) to lose a hive to a non laying queen as they come out of winter? I welcome any other thoughts/ suggestions. thanks -Tom.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Occasionally it happens. Can be very difficult to diagnose in these cases.

Me anyway, if the other hives have plenty to spare, I may give the non layer some brood and bees from another hive, see if it will get her kick started. But mostly it's a waste of time if she's not laying next time i look she gets pinched and resources given to other hives.

If your other hives do not have much to spare, probably not worth the investment, just pinch it.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
My hive in Otis Mass (Western Mass, zone 5a-5b) recently died off and I’m trying to figure out where I went wrong. The queen is still alive and may be the last living bee on the hive.

The hive seemed to be a good cluster of bees through the winter but there was a sharp drop off in mid April (western mass and we have had dreary cold and rainy weather). the hive had ample reserves and there were no swarm cells.

At first i thought the hive had swarmed but i found my marked queen alive along with about one frame of bees. i gave them pollen patties and syrup, but after two weeks there has been no new brood and the hive has narrowed down to only a handful of bees and the queen (still alive). No swarm cells and no drones.

Does it make sense (or very uncommon) to lose a hive to a non laying queen as they come out of winter? I welcome any other thoughts/ suggestions. thanks -Tom.
i thought i had the same issue...went to requeen her/recombine her a week ago and sure enough she has picked up laying again.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
How about varroa?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts