Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve just lost a single deep hive to starvation from being robbed out. Forgot To reduce the entrance on this one! Dumb!!!
2 frames have a number of dead bees in the cells still, butt out, and several cells of capped brood that is all dead as well. I put them in the freezer for 24 hours and now am wondering what to do with them. I tried pulling them out with tweezers but some were just goo. Can I put these frames into a strong hive in hopes they will clean it up? Some frames with a lot of pollen too. Ok to put in a weaker hive??

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
I just lost one today as well due to robbing. This weather going from 40's to 60's doesn't help matters.
Just as long you know it wasn't taken out by disease or bugs you can feed them to a strong hive. They will have them cleaned up in a day or two given good weather.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
If it were in my yard I would spray it with BT to keep the wax moths at bay and button up the entrance. Come spring I would install a new package and let them have at it. Maybe you could skip the BT if your apiary stays cold enough to kill off the wax moths.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts