Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Collect the honey for my personal consumption...
I honestly think this hive froze. I live in northern New Jersey and a month ago we had a day in the low 50's and that night it was 10 below 0..I think they got caught, because its lots of honey..at least 20lbs., and they were on the same frame as the honey..so may I eat it....also I have enough for the other hives... Over wintered honey that looks dark, but maybe that's just the frame...

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I had one dead out this winter. Happened late winter like you are talking about. Had bees one week, the next week and small dead cluster. I ate the honey from a couple of frames. I scraped it off with a spoon and strained it. I haven't died yet from eating it. :) There were 2 distinct types of honey in the frames I collected. One was dark and strong. It covered most of the frame. There were circles of a nearly black honey in both frames and it smelled horrible. I scraped around the black honey and didn't keep it. I think I could have used it to patch the asphalt at my shop....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...
As you might know, here in the north we've had a long and very cold winter. Usually a snowy winter is not a problem..but it was fiercely cold this winter.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
We had a long and cold one here too. I'm sure you would have thought it was short and warm here though. It's relative I guess. It was cold enough, for long enough that I lost quite a bit of the shrubbery around my house, and I think both of my fig bushes are dead. I don't know how to survive summer without figs....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts