Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I lost a good hive today. I noticed a couple of days ago there was not as much activity at this hive so today I went into it and nothing but pollen left and about 400 bees. I don't know if the queen abscond and then they got robbed or they got robbed and then she abscond. They where one of my good producers, I pulled 80# of honey from them three weeks ago and they where going strong. These bees were from Russian stock with about sixty thousand bees in it. I just don't get how this happen. If any one has a opinion on how this can happen or how I can keep this from happening to one of my other hive I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
You killed the queen pulling the crop?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I lost one as well. It was a swarm I caught back in May. They went queenless in the beginning I got them a new queen laying good. Pulled some brood from them that I wanted to use for some queen rearing. I then decided to give them all frames of drawn comb so they would have a better chance of building up for winter. Poof two weeks later gone! About a nuc full of bees. They left brood it's still emerging. I blame myself. Nosy beekeeper. :no:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply's. I don't think I killed the queen the way I pull supers. When a super is ready I put a Escape Screen board under it and wait 48 hours then pull it there are probably about 20 bees left in it. I then take it to the truck and with a air tank set to blow about 35# of air I just blow the remaining bees out. I didn't do any thing different with it than I do with the other hives. Just can't figure it out on a hive that was as strong as it was. But again thanks. :s

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.