Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buried my old man friday 59 yrs young. Due to a cranial hemridge last weekend someone else benefited through recieving his organs. I know this thread prolly doesnt belong here just wanted 2 get the word out 2 peeps that frequently talked with him. Thank you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,122 Posts
There is no greater gift. Sorry for your loss.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,208 Posts
Sorry for your loss. It is wonderful he will live on while helping others. This is a forum for sharing and support...I hope we help comfort you in some small way.
 

·
Registered
35
Joined
·
1,954 Posts
It's so easy for most of us to gloss over the comments about the organ donation that can result in this situation.

Years ago, I was part of a 2 aircraft team used extensively in these situations. An air ambulance would be dispatched with the organ harvest team to get the organ. A passenger charter aircraft (mine) would be dispatched to some small town in the interior, to pick up the organ recipient and get them into the big city hospital for the transplant if no commercial flights were available. It was a policy that we never engaged our passengers in conversation enroute, but, if they initiated, we would then talk with them. The most memorable experience of my career flying aircraft came on one of those flights.

It was about 5:30 am, on the descent into Vancouver international airport, with a blanket of fog under us, sun rising ahead in the east over the mountains, just two of us in the plane. Gent beside me appeared to be early 30's and makes a comment. 'This is surreal, such a pretty view, and possibly my last time to see a sunrise. Without the procedure, I've only got a couple months left. 70% chance of seeing many years ahead, 30% chance it's all over for me in another 6 hours'. He showed me a wallet picture of two young girls, they looked to be about 3 and 5 years old.

Every time I see organ donation mentioned in a case like this, I just remember that day so clearly, it brings tears to my eyes. The gift in that case wasn't the organ for an unfortunate gentleman. The gift was a Daddy for those two girls growing up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
All the best to you and your family.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,686 Posts
Sorry Brian, I hadn't heard. Nice timely story Allen.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top