Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both out at a friends farm. Was surprised that either of them would have died out. Both had enough stores (HSC filled with sugar syrup or paper on top with dry sugar.

When I opened up the second dead hive I found a huge mouse nest in the left side of the top medium super. You should have seen how many mice came out of that nest! One came out with small mice hanging on to her tits (guess I can say that). Had most of the frames in the middle of the super because that's where the cluster was located.

I had another hive that had already moved up to the top back left corner of the top super and I new they would need some feed in case they didn't move to the right for more honey. Took that medium that had the mice to use on top. It had 4 perma comb frames filled with sugar syrup and also a lot of dry sugar stuck between the frames.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I've lost two possibly three. All that cold rain was rough on them. One the wind blew off the top and they got soaked, other two were a sad surprise.:cry::cry::cry:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bees flew today and we lost 1 last week to a prolonged cold and small cluster. Another threw a pile of dead bees down to the bottom of the hive so even though it is still alive I have my doubts about this spring.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Hope I haven't lost any. Haven't checked on them in a month or so. There are 3 that I should have combined, but didn't. So I have my doubts. I will find out Sunday when I take the patties and feed out.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sorry Ken and all for your losses. I am checking in on my girls tomorrow. I still am so new that I can't determine very well which hives should be combined. Two of my seven probably should have been combined, or moved into nucs. I really expected that they would not make it. But as of a couple weeks ago, they were all hanging in there! Tomorrow may tell a different tale. Would love to make it to spring with at least 5.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Lost my single hive today

I am a new beek, installed my first nuc in April last year, ended up with a 57lb harvest (yahoo) in the Fall. Decided to take a peek today and to my dismay my hive died off. Not a sign of life whatsoever, found where they where kind of piled up in a cluster, and the inside surface of the wax/cells was covered in a 'mold' grey color, very odd. The guy I buy my bees from said it was possibly a mold from the dead bees. They had lots of stores, it looks like they cleaned up the bottom box of honey well, top had plenty left in it. Very disappointing for my first year to lose a hive, but I know it happens. Was going to increase single colony with three more this Spring, now I'll be buying four :(

Brad in Central Michigan

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brad, sounds like you had moisture in the hive. That will kill off your bees. But take all of your frames with honey and put them in the freezer to kill off any eggs that might be on/in the frames. You can leave them there until they are needed later. If you purchase 2 packages, then you can put the other frames that have dead bees mixed with the honey frames in each of the 2 new packages. They should really help you get a big boost this spring.

·
Registered
421 Posts
bradkeskey, it's depressing to lose your only hive. It happened to me last year. But I jumped back in with another package and managed to lure a swarm too. Don't feel too bad, it happens. Take it as a learning experience, and see what you can change for next winter.
Things I changed- went to screened bottom boards year round, added thin foam board insulation to the inside of the lids, fed sugar syrup heavily through fall, feeding using mountain camp method through winter. So far, so good, but then anything can still happen. Winter's not over yet.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Make that 2 more hives + 2 more today when I could check the 2 that I didn't really see any activity.

One was a really good hive that I made from a split in March or early April. I even took a little honey off the hive and left plenty. But I wasn't paying attention. I didn't pull the sliding board out from under the SBB. Honey in brood box and super. Not greats amount but enough to be okay at the moment. The brood box was damp and plenty of light gray mold on some of the comb and most of the capped honey. From the top looking down in the super everything looked great. Just my stupid error cost me a great hive.

The other one was also a pretty good hive. Don't think I took any honey off of it but did remove the top super which was empty or empty comb. This was a small cell nuc I purchased from Beehunter last April or May. Was really looking good. But I guess I didn't check the hive very well as these bees starved. I could have prevented that. So stupid mistakes on my part cost my 2 hives. At least I have all of the comb from both and some with honey.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ken,

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I was so concerned after reading about your losses that I went out and checked the four hives I look after. I'm glad to report they're doing well. Lots of bees out front flying in this 55 degree weather. I haven't checked them for stores, but they were fine as of late November.

Hang in there!

Tony

·
Registered
717 Posts
And me with my little ole hive counting the days til warmer weather to be able to see how they're doing. Big discouragement with 200+ dead out in front of the hive and on my SBB (over about a month), but encouraged with just as many on top of my MC sugar and below my screen board - mean as rattlesnakes, but no way they can be robbing - very little activity via the only (bottom 1" entrance).

If anyone should have a dead out, it should be me, considering what I have put them thru (too embarressed to describe), and what they have had to deal with (bad varroa and SHB).

5-frame nuc in late spring, 2 deep boxes with top honey-dome and what I believe is supercedure cells as of a month ago.

Weather has been brutal (for all of us).

Got to believe it is a dice roll re survival - sorry for those who lost, but at least my fish and wild birds are thriving.

"it's how you play the game"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts