Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought three Nucs from Kelly Bees {Mann} , April 17. I checked them when I got home, and two had at least 2 frames of brood, and one had around one. All three had three starter frames. but no pulled comb. The queens were supposed to be marked, but were not. I found the queen in one, and she was really nice. After a couple of weeks, I transferred all three to a hive body. The one I found the queen in, really expanded, to over 5 frames of capped brood. I made sure I didn't roll the queen and closed them back up. Today, I checked it again, there were a lot of bees, no larva, no capped brood, no queen that I could find, but a queen cell which had hatched a queen, and they were tearing it down. I buttoned it back up and will check it again in 14 days.
The second one, when I inspected it a couple of weeks ago, had several queen cells but I did not find the queen. Six days ago, I was at my hives, and on the side of this hive was a queen, and a bee was chasing her off. I caught her put her in a queen cage, stopped it up with a marshmallow and put it in the hive. Today I checked it and she was released, Hopefully they didn't kill her.
The other hive, which was weak , because of not much brood, is still weak, but starting to build up, with some capped brood. Hopefully they will get stronger. I think it's to soon to judge the queen. These are all Russians. Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated. Thanks, OLD KENTUCKY

1 - 1 of 1 Posts