Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inspected my hive on the 17th to see if my queen has escaped the queen box. The queen was still in the box so I poked a hole through the candy and laid it on the frames. She was supposed to be clipped but she flew from the box and was circling the hive. Is the queen going to reenter the hive or do I need to buy a a new queen.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You might want to start thinking about getting another queen. She can return but many times she will land in the grass somewhere and never return

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
before you do anything Inspect the hive. if the queen has been in the hive for a few days then they usually do not fly, they scurry to the safety and darkness of the hive. If there happens to be another queen in the hive and the caged queen has been harassed by a dominate queen she may not have felt safe in the hive and that caused her to fly. Now I am not saying that is the case. but could be and bears investigating. No sense getting a new queen it there is one there.

If you see no signs of a queen, Eggs, larva or a her majesty in person. Then order another queen pronto! A new package is tenuous to begin with, left queenless they become very frantic. Leave the empty cage in the hive to make full use of any hormones it contains.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Dixie Beekeeper, you stated... she flew from the box and was circling the hive.

It sounds to me like she oriented on the hive before she flew away. Check back in the hive tomorrow, chances are good she'll be in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts