Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to take a quick peek at my first super on Saturday. I had three frames of foundation in the middle, the rest was drawn. All looked good, foundation drawn and necter evident after a couple days.

Then I decided to peek at my drone trap in the upper brood box, looked good I'll freeze in a couple weeks.

Then I decide to peek at the outside frame in the brood box. It fell apart in a couple spots. Oops, I put it back and closed up wondering what to do?

I grabbed a pail and a frame of foundation, pulled the broken comb and put in the foundation, brushed the bees off with a handful of grass and closed it up.

I brought it in and tasted it and recalled a taste from many years back, wow!

I later noticed it was drawn on only one side, I figured that this is what caused it to break.

Is this common? The foundation was in nice and straight.

I am convinced that I have stupid bees and they haven't read any of the books that I have.

The cells were only capped about say 10% and the honey was yelowish with an ever so slight green tinge.

Matt

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
The outer most frames are always the last to get drawn, and usually the ones that only get partly drawn. The easiest thing to do to elimite this is to rotate your outside frames into the center.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was drawn out to full size, but only on one side of the foundation.

Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts