Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watched one of my hives with a good population of bees appear to be preparing to swarm. A large amount were flying in a cloud all around the hive and nearby in the yard. Numerous bees were on the front of the hiveand porch. This built up in intensity and then gradually decreased as the bees returned to there normal everyday behaviour. It's been raining quite a bit so the bees have been shut up in the hive and this occured during a break in the rain. Has anyone seen this type of behaviour?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Saw the same type of activety from one of my homeyard hives after it quit raining today. Thought maybe I had better check it out, but after awhile they settled down and went on as usually.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked the hive out and it had queen cells in it so I guess they were preparing to swarm but the weather is not right with the rain. Removed the queen cells except for one frame which I took to set up a nuc. I also placed empty frames in the place of the brood and honey frames I took. With no cells I hope this deters them from swarming. They have an empty hive body above them.

I have been feeding the hives could this cause to much brood to be produced causing them to swarm?

The nectar flow dropped off and with so young bees I thought feeding them would prevent them from swarming.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
"I have been feeding the hives could this cause to much brood to be produced causing them to swarm?"

Yup, that could cause it. I checked on my hive today, and didn't find any queen cells, but I put on another deep and interspaced new frames with full ones. This is one of my two queen units, and was a bit ugly today, can't blame them after 3" of rain in the last 48 hours.

·
Registered
702 Posts
It's good you got them under control for now!
I was wondering, the other day, a bunch of bees, perhaps 50 or 100 where checking out the inside of my shed when I had it open.
Are these bees scouting out places to go when swarming???
Konrad

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
The girls are always nosey, they check out everthing. It could've been scouts, I have seen hundreds of them checking out places to make a new home.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I saw similar behavior at the entrance to "my" wild hive (in the barn wall.) I assumed it was because the foragers were not out due to rain and there was just not enough room inside for all the bees. Of course, I have nothing on which to base that assumption....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts