Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honey Hive Farms has been studying pollen for some time now. If you have a story, good informations and any details, please share them.
Good or bad.
State?
Area?
Crops and if so what kind?
Etc?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
I sent a chunk of granulated comb honey in for pollen testing with the hope of identifying the plant source of the honey. Over 22 easily identified different pollens were found in the honey and more.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone have any thoughts how bees are doing if they are on corn? or if you see corn pollen in the hive?
Looking for any thoughts on this, please, thank you.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Since all the discussion about neonics, I have been stopping in the neighbors' corn field regularly to look. I've not seen a bee on their field corn but they're on my sweet corn.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The reason I was asking about corn is that some our research is showing if your bees are on corn and they are putting corn pollen away, this is the a large red flag you may have a problem. I dont know it all for sure, just sharing what we have came up with so far. Hoping to get more impute on this.
I personally wish I could do a better job distinguish between all the pollens, not sure it is going to ever happen. But if I can always tell if it was corn, I feel like this would give me a heads up to do something different.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
This year I happened to set a yard in the middle of a corn planting, half mile to a mile flight over corn in every direction.
I had flowering crops out side that corn planting. I never seen the bees in the corn and that yard looked in great shape going into winter.

I wish there was more cause and effect to the claims made against me nieonic corn plantings. I have not seen any over the last few years

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Honey Hive Farms, what I think you need to do is find out the bees nutritional dietary needs, and match that to the pollen coming in. Flower pollen nutritional data is documented. Then make up the dietary deficiency with supplements. Sounds easier to say than to do.
When my bees are feasting on weeks of solely Dandilion flowers in the spring, what should I be doing to fill that dietary deficiency ? Most of the time I then assume stored willow and wild flower pollen fills that dietary void.

But more and more natural bush, wet lands and wild prairie is being lost, and all that diversity with it.
I'm going to have to pay more attention to the bees dietary needs as natural forage is lost

1 - 12 of 12 Posts