Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should have plenty of experience doing a cutout from the outside of a house after next week in SC. The bees are inside the outside wall of this house too! No insulation. Outside of the house is wood boards lapped over. Wood has shrank over the years and is probably "fatlighter". Bees have entrances starting at around 4 feet up from the ground and about 2 or 3 feet from the roof. This too is a 2 story home. That's a lot of bees and comb. Bees have been in this wall every year since before 1980. No one else will tackle it. To me it's a great challenge and the opportunity to see just how much comb a colony can build into the side of a house.

Another beek in SC is going to assist me. He wants to learn and I can use his assistance. It's always good to have someone to bounce ideas off of when doing something this challenging. He should be able to take home a lot of bees.

I have almost completed the building of a second robovac. I will take all of my normal tools of the trade. I keep adding more as I get into something that requires a tool I don't have in my arsenal.

Anyone have any ideas as to how many boxes I will need and frames for cutouts for a job this large?

I plan on using medium boxes and frames. I find it easier to cut and fit comb into them instead of the brood frames. Plus it's a lot easier to put rubber bands around a medium than a brood frame.

Anyone have any ideas as to how many buckets I will need to collect all the different comb?

I wonder how much honey is in this wall. Plan on taking my 2 5 gallon buckets that have cutoff on them and a couple of strainers. Don't think I am going to worry about jars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
if not to far away, and you would'nt mind another helper I would love to come watch and lend a hand just to see this done, where in sc are yall going to be? I would come just for the experiance and to take pics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.