Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) Are there specific varroa mite thresholds to dictate treatment for our region?

2) What times of the year should I treat my hives?

Picked up my nucs 5/4. I'm going to start doing a monthly mite count via powdered sugar method this upcoming week, just looking for guidance on when tx is indicated for our area. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
what is an appropriate threshold for treatment ? That depends on the time of year to some extent, mite populations are not static, they are growing. I used to get real concerned about thresholds and numbers when doing a mite check, but we have since dramatically simplified our process. Do a shake, count mites. Any number greater than zero means, deal with mites.

I've posted much on this subject in the past. For a short read that explains mite population dynamics, read the first post in this thread:- https://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?347723-Anatomy-of-a-mite-crash

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent reply and info on the provided link. Trying to soak up all I can as a new beek. Sounds like I'm on the right track just doing a sugar role in this upcoming week and then repeating monthly and treating accordingly. Thank you for your explanation about conceptualizing the life cycle sprints as well. I hadn't put it together with the 3 week brood cycle and new info about the mite cycle. Simple and straightforward. Much appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts