Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some suggestions for a long hive tool to break apart the bottom deep lang frame when you are using them zip tied together. I searched but couldn't find anything. Thanks

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Break apart ? Well, I've never done exactly what you're describing, but I do tie-wrap dummy frame extenders quite often, which employs the same tie-wrap principle:

When it comes time to remove the extenders, I simply snip the tie-wraps with a pair of wire cutters, and as the bees only lay down a thin bead of propolis on either side of where the two items meet, they come apart quite easily.

Are you having bigger problems than that ?
LJ

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's when your pulling frames for inspection and the bottom frames are stuck together ever bit as much as the top and just because you break the top doesn't mean the bottoms break loose, so you need a hive tool of some sort that reaches all the way below the upper frame for that job. I am trying to find something to use in place of a hive tool as I do not find any hive tools anywhere near that length.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Ok - I'm with you now. If you Google "long top bar hive tool", you'll see tools that Top Bar beekeepers use to cut away comb side attachments - but I don't know what the correct name is for those tools. Would they do what you want ?

Probably available from beekeeping supply houses - although they are an 'alternative' beekeeping item. Thorne in the UK have them, but that's not very much help ...
LJ

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
... Google "long top bar hive tool"..........LJ
+1
Or Google - "long hive tool"
Many options.

Good to carry with you a long serrated bread knife (the blunt end type).
Comes useful with deep and long hives.

Zip ties are trivially cut by wire cutters.
Snip-snip-done.

As far as the OP problem - this often is an indication of too wide bottom bars used.
Those bottom bars need be shaved down some so not to be close or even touching.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
The long top bar hive tool has a thicker handle and isnt flat like a hive tool is; at least mine isnt. I have a long thin bread knife that can work for what you want. A garage sale find.

Sorry Greg didnt see your post!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
more searching with above suggestions and I did find some good options. long bread knife seems quickest and least expensive. I have some thin but sturdy strips of inch wide metal that I am going to cut to length and try some vice grips on em in the mean time.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,881 Posts
I just run standard deep Langstroth frames, but I find the long serrated bread knife a handy tool to have in the bag.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have left the bread knife far behind, when the colony is strong and wall to wall bees the knife is too wide for me, always cuts some. I have a couple of home made tools that may help you, I just use them for cutting the attachment of the combs to the sides of the top bar hive but you could make it longer if you need. One is just a bbq skewer with a twist and the other is my favorite. I made it from steel bar stock from the orange big box place and I think I paid around $3 for a 3 foot length. It's not real easy to bend but it does and it's stiff enough to cut through the old hard stuff. If you look closely you'll notice some fabric on the lower end close to the blade, that's a piece of sheathing from paracord. When the bees are too thick and you can't see what you're doing a few squirts of bee repellent on the fabric works wonders.
Wood Metal Steel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts