Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Joseph, I talked to a commercial beek the other day that quit using the one piece plastic frames. Says they cause the bees to burr comb them to everything thus making it hard to get deeps/frames apart. Other problem, after a few years, the ears begin to break off. He recommended I stick with wooden frames with plastic foundation.

I noticed the burr comb issue this summer in my hives, but only in the deeps. Found it hard to get deeps apart and frames were stuck together to. Have you experienced any of these problems?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Steve Forrest used to recommend running a piece of masking tape across the top of all the one piece Pierco frames. He felt that the bees didn't like to walk on the smooth plastic thus they would build comb there. The tape gave them a textured surface to walk on.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
We run pierco frames in thousands of hives with no problems. I like the bees don't like the feel of smooth on their feet, that's a new one. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I use wooden frames and the plastic frames mixed together. Some frames get burr combed together, but I only noticed that it happens with the plastic only slightly more often than with the wooden frames.

I do know that I cannot leave the plastic frames exposed to the sun, here in Tucson. They almost immediately begin to yellow, and after a few days of exposure, the exposed areas become brittle. I am cautious to never leave any plastic frames or foundation where they can be exposed to sunlight.

I use the type of hive tool that goes under the frame lugs and lifts the frames that way, doing this I haven't had any frame lug damage. I began making sure to use this kind of hive tool after I noticed how the plastic frame lugs could be damaged if I used a regular hive tool, improperly.

However, I only have two hives that are on deep frames, one twenty-two frame horizontal condo hive, and one ten-frame with vertical slatted-rack spacers on the inside side walls so it only fits nine frames. I haven't noticed any increased propensity for burr comb in these two deep hives.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Bees will build more burr comb on plastic frames than on wooden frames. I don't know why this is but I have seen it with my own eyes and scraped it with my own hive tool. Fill a box with half wood and half plastic and see for yourself.

But then on the flip side they seem to draw more perfectly uniform worker comb on the plastic. So its a trade off.

I like wood and wax because I can burn them when they outlive their usefulness. Not that you can't burn plastic, its just a bit irresponsible.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Anyone know where the current best deal for frames are, wooden with foundation or plastic frames.

I need 300 deep and 300 mediums.

Thanks
The best wooden frames I have found were from Humble Abodes. My Dad used to use Kelly's and I have many of those, which must be 50 years old now and fine. I like the wedge top using crimp wired foundation or strips.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'm looking for around 12000 frames, not entirely all for myself. Humble Abode is only .02 cheaper than Brushy. Diminshing returns in fuel on my end. Mann lake has some good prices... Too bad they're in michigan. C'mon you comms better start commenting or Ill start PM'ing!! lol. On a serious note, where and what are ya'll paying.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Skinner, how far are you from Kelley?
I just finished assembling 800 Kelley deep frames... the last 200 were different, they no longer had one edge of the top of the end frame beveled. Straight on both sides now.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hmm Id say 10+ hours. I forgot to price them. Western turns out to be cheeeeap.
Dadant is fairly expensive, I believe .69. I inquired about commercial prices and they pretty much let me know, they make more from guys with 2 hives, I could "inquire" western's prices.
Need to double check Brushy Mtn, last quote was Nov at .62.
Maine's matched, but thats a looong ride for me (as is montana lol)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts