Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only one found is Old Sol. Sue Cobey doesn't sell to small fry like me, leary of Winters, Strachan doesn't have em, any other sources?

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I think I'll bite the bullet this year and get one of the old world Caucasian breeders from the WSU program. Old Sol is the only one I know of as well, but you can maybe ask the WSU program for some open mated Caucasian daughter queens. My only issue is, there available kind of late in the year but I'm betting I could squeeze a few daughter queens out in 2017.

·
Super Moderator
11,003 Posts
Anyone considering actually sending money to David Winters for anything bee related is just asking to lose their money. :rolleyes: Just Say No!

... if you really need confirmation, just search for threads with "beemaster01" :eek:

·
Super Moderator
11,003 Posts
Well, Mr Carlson, I don't mind encouraging members to learn to search for threads on their own - maybe you've heard that old saying ...
... give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. :p
But since you seem to have posted an invalid search result,* here is a real beemaster01 thread link:
http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?232835-Dealings-with-Long-Creek-Apiaries

That is not the only thread of its kind, but it is the most notorious. :no:

David Winters seems to do business under a variety of different bee business names, but its pretty safe to say that if the bee business is in the Parrottsville TN vicinity, it likely has David Winters somewhere behind it. Parrottsville is a pretty small place. Don't be fooled by a name change.

* the problem with JWC's link is that search queries with keys (note the key ID # at the end of his link) are transient, so while they might work for the person who initiated the search, are not permanent such that the search ID can be passed on to others. Link to the thread, not the search itself. (This is not official - I am not a vBulletin expert, this is just what I have noticed in doing my own searches.)

:)

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Wow! nasty old thread! Thank you, Graham. Only deal with Mr. Winters in person, cheque for bees that you can see, or not at all.

The grey Caucasian bees are practically a threatened or endangered race/subspecies, according to one of our contributors, Cerheza of Santa Monica. Apparently, most former Soviet beekeepers switched over to Karpatky (Carpathian) bees during the glasnost era, to the point that the Caucasians nearly disappeared.

According to Old Sol Apiaries' website, they are sold out until May of 2017, but go ahead and place your order with him. 1 (541) 582-2337. He may possibly include your bees with any orders he makes to Dr. Cobey. Do pray for good wintering conditions in his area!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yah, didn't intend to drag that one up again, that's why I already discounted him as a source in initial post.
Any other Caucasian sources???

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
On queen rearing days, there is an ebay seller for the
Caucasian queens available. You might want to do a search there to see at
the right time. You have to contact the seller to ask him about his queens though. I
have no interest yet because I'm on the Cordovan genetics now. Too many carnis drones out
there locally.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Beepro, hopefully its not Winters, lol.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
No, they're not!
On queen rearing days... it is not.
They also have the vsh, mhg, etc.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
* the problem with JWC's link is that search queries with keys (note the key ID # at the end of his link) are transient, so while they might work for the person who initiated the search, are not permanent such that the search ID can be passed on to others. Link to the thread, not the search itself. (This is not official - I am not a vBulletin expert, this is just what I have noticed in doing my own searches.)

:)
That's interesting because I tried the link I posted right after I posted and it worked. And then when I tried again just now... nothing.

Here's his profile:
http://www.beesource.com/forums/member.php?69003-beemaster01

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Thought he's referring to the ebay site not TN now.
They only sell during the queen rearing days.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Thought he's referring to the ebay site not TN now.
They only sell during the queen rearing days.
Just so you know Winters sales his Caucasians on Ebay and Amazon both during the season and off season. I mentioned it so no one screws up and gets confused and buys from Winters.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
If they have it for sale then they can provide a battery box to ship
during the winter time too. That way the queen is safe in a heated environment. Besides, 2nd day air
mail is fine if the temp. holds. At least there is a source online for those queens.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts