Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know of where I can find good, healthy bees in the upstate NY area? (anything besides a swarm). Im looking to order bees in the fall, and have them shipped or picked up in early spring. Thanks, DP

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
there are lots of guys/gals on here from upstate that will have some suggestions for you and many even sell bees. i think very early spring bees would have to be those wintered down in the southern states and brought up here, but it all depends on the weather. some of those folks i mentioned do just that, bring their bees south in late fall/early winter then move them back upstate in the spring.
i'm sure once they see your post they'll chime in.
i'm downstate on the coast so can't help w/ my bees.

·
Premium Member
2,494 Posts
Does anybody know of where I can find good, healthy bees in the upstate NY area? (anything besides a swarm). Im looking to order bees in the fall, and have them shipped or picked up in early spring. Thanks, DP
You can try Hudson Valley Bee Supply in Kingston; they do get their packages from down south but seem to do good up here. Also Sam Comfort of Anarchy Apiaries (treatment free) has excellent bees too. Deb

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Go up the road to Greenwich and see the guys at Better Bee.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Hudson Valley? Sam Comfort? who are they? :)
NY Blues, wildbranch, BMAC, Palmer across the lake, sqcrk, there are others I just can't think of now- and they are all on here regularly.
Don't know where Betterbee gets early bees from but M Palmer supplies them with some later on I think.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I just moved to te west coast from Elmira this spring.
I had good success buying nucs form Kale Luce in Cattaraugus (near Salamanca).
The bees i go from him were treatment free, and on small cell comb.
I never treated them and never had any mite or disease issues.

I no longer have his contact info, but a whitepages search ought to turn it up if he is still selling bees.

Joel Klose is a member of Beesource and a commercial beekeeper who sells nucs near Elmira.
He has a good reputation locally.

Info on his nucs can be found at http://natureswayfarm.com/nucs.htm

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Betterbee raises (and of course, sells) some nucs of their own (in addtion to bees from Jester's and Michael Palmer). I think they are starting next spring's bees right now.

Also, there are local suppliers who have notices in the SABA (Southern Adirondack Beekeepers' Assoc.) newsletter.

My bees are all swarm/cut-out bees, so I can't speak from personal experience about any particular vendor.

Enj.

·
Premium Member
2,494 Posts
Hudson Valley? Sam Comfort? who are they? :)
NY Blues, wildbranch, BMAC, Palmer across the lake, sqcrk, there are others I just can't think of now- and they are all on here regularly.
Don't know where Betterbee gets early bees from but M Palmer supplies them with some later on I think.
Hudson Valley Bee Supply is located in Kingston, and opened two years ago. Megan Denver and Jorik are members of the Catskill Mountain Beekeepers Club....Jorik is the current president.
Sam Comfort is a treatment free beekeeper, a young guy, who does talks around the country....he is Anarchy Apiaries. He does weekend seminars with Dee Lusby also. I believe his bees are all from feral stock and wintered up here....he does mostly Top Bar, and makes all his stuff. I bought one of his queens a month ago (which he sells at Hudson Valley Bee and on his own) and she is doing great so far. You can google him.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Sam has TBH's in a number of East Coast States and is the only TBH Migratory Beekeeper that I know of. Good guy. Nice guy. Talented, creative. Some people think he is a whacko. lol I think Sam would say, "The World needs more whackos." I like his spirit.

·
Premium Member
2,494 Posts
Sam has TBH's in a number of East Coast States and is the only TBH Migratory Beekeeper that I know of. Good guy. Nice guy. Talented, creative. Some people think he is a whacko. lol I think Sam would say, "The World needs more whackos." I like his spirit.
I like him also...if I was younger I would definitely hang out with him... :) he did a great talk at our Bee Club last month, really motivated some new Beekeepers to build top bar hives...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts