Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a homeowner with a hive that arrived this spring. It is in the roof soffit about 35' above ground level. The ground is accessible so a very tall ladder would work but it is getting to about the max ladder height and I would have to rent a ladder for the job. I've taken out a few that were close to this height and each one was a poor money job or break even. I will price this one more appropriately but would like some ideas on possible alternative arrangements for getting into working position.
Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
We have a 20 foot extension ladder. If that won't do it, we don't do it. Anything higher than that isn't worth the risk to us.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Why remove them at all? That's high enough they shouldn't be a bother to anybody.
Don
Because eventually the homeowner might end up with this...

A "25 year old" colony that has made it's way through the ceiling. When I started keeping bees three years ago they mentioned the bees to me but didn't want them removed. They were cool with the bees, no problem. When they start sharing the living quarters with each other it's time for them to go. It's not 35' up but it is high enough that I'm not so sure I want to be climbing a ladder for bees.

Ed

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why remove them at all? That's high enough they shouldn't be a bother to anybody.

Don
Why remove them? Um...... #1-because they want them removed and they want to give me "fun coupons" to do so and #B-because of what Intheswamp said. In addition to that I feel it is irresponsible to leave them. IMO unmanaged bees might live a year or two. After that they will get over run by varroa and croak off leaving a mess with any number of opportunistic pests coming behind them. If by some miracle the bees lived for more than that eventually the house will need painting and the bees will have to go at that time/point.
Bees belong in hives I guess is what I'm saying. That way they get taken care of......hopefully.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
You have two choices one is a tow able lift they rent from 500 to $800. Per day. Or rent scaffolding. At that height it isn't for some one faint of heart and, need to know what they are doing
David

·
Registered
695 Posts
Why remove them? Um...... #1-because they want them removed and they want to give me "fun coupons" to do so and #B-because of what Intheswamp said. In addition to that I feel it is irresponsible to leave them. IMO unmanaged bees might live a year or two. After that they will get over run by varroa and croak off leaving a mess with any number of opportunistic pests coming behind them. If by some miracle the bees lived for more than that eventually the house will need painting and the bees will have to go at that time/point.
Bees belong in hives I guess is what I'm saying. That way they get taken care of......hopefully.
Thanks
Fair enough.

I will price this one more appropriately.
Thanks
Ok, so what do you feel is an appropriate charge for a removal this high?

Just for the record I done my share of very tough high removals.

Don

·
Registered
209 Posts
Tow behind bucket lifts rent for about $200 a day in this area if you call around you might find someone with a 1/2 day rent. add the rental to your quote. Also if you are not doing the repairs (we don't) the home owner may want to rent the lift himself so he can do the repair. I would strongly recommend against trying to use a ladder. The higher you go the less stable the ladder. You are going to be prying and reaching out both dangerous things to do on a ladder.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Yeah, that's what I would do too, look at it. Then I would walk away and not turn back. After all, if they are that high who are they bothering?

Do you have a good health insurance plan, including loss of income?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
so did you decide to do it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts