Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

So today I arrive home from work (6:00 PM) and I look out at the hives, I see what looks like a lot of bees doing orientation flights. A few minutes later there are a LOT of bees flying around tornado style, I am thinking maybe beginning of a swarm? So I gear up, head to the hives, and a mass of bees is on the side of the hive (I have long langs, bad back and interested children) and some one the ground. The bees on the side are trying to crawl into a tiny gap between the hive body and sticky board. There are also some bees on the ground moving around very fast and agitated. There is some fighting on the ground . Some bees have obviously lost stingers. Some bees on ground and on hive have butts in the air, and fanning the nasinov (sp?) glands. By this time all the flying has ended, I check out the front of the hive and only normal activity. I look in the hive, looks like business as usual. I go fire up some coals, grill some burgers, feed the kids, come back to the hive and find all the outside bees dead on the ground.

Any ideas what happened? I have never seen something like this before.

A little extra info:
I am a week into apiguard treatment. very little gel in trays, not an abnormally warm day today, actually milder than most of the preceding days.
The hives (3) are located in the back of my property, on a powerline cut through a small patch of woods. Not easy to get to so I don't think someone sprayed them. Also the bees were VERY alive, not hanging on by a thread. All other hives were business as usual.

Thanks for sharing your ideas

Jason

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I'm new to this beekeeping myself, but it sounds to me like you may have had an attempted robbing battle going on in your yard.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Jason, what you describe is very similar to what I have heard friends in Texas talk about when an Africanized swarm takes over a colony. But I doubt that sort of thing happens in Maryland.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you all for your thoughts. I will look into the usurpation more. I went into the hive today, and things seemed calm, I will collect samples and send them off for testing. I do not want to harbor africanized bees.
I don't know why my location is MD, I am in NC, do this change anyones mind?

Thanks again,

Jason

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
Folks in the south have all the fun! I don't have bees at home so I doubt I would see such behavior demonstrated anyway. I wonder if this is also a Russian genetics thing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I hived a swarm in a Nuc. They obviously did not like it and invaded another nuc, killing queen and other bees..(May 2014).

Sounds similar to your case.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ursurpation is primarily a event associated with AHB however there is some evidence that it also occurs in european honey bees as well. Its likely that you don't have AHB but did experience an usurpation event by EHB. IS your queen marked? if so check to see what queen is there now. That may help you with some answers as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts