Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made it back to a yard I requeened in mid-April. I had been back about a week after the queens were installed to make sure they were out, but I must of missed two hives. I was in the yard yesterday and noticed two that were low in numbers and obviously in trouble. I was surprised to find the queens still in the cages and being taken care of. I let them out and they seemed fine.

Two questions... Will the queen still be able to lay after te period of a month in a cage?

What is the longest that others have had success with matters such as this. (I am not trying to break any records)

And I am not sure if it was the candy or the nature of the bee cage (battery box style with bees in and around the queen cages for installation) But I have noticed that the bees had a hard time getting through the candy and did not eat it all out. I never had this problem with cages with attendant inside with the queen. Maybe it was the supplier making the candy but does anyone else notice a longer time with individual queens with battery box set-up versus the queen cages with attendants?

Thank you.

·
Registered
457 Posts
A speaker at our club last week said he kept some queens in battery boxes up to 6 weeks. (I hope I remembered that correct, I remember being surprised out how long he kept them in the battery box.)

He takes the box with him out into his yards when he is working them and opens the lid a bit to let the workers fly. He adds more workers as needed.

He doesn't like to keep them in the battery box that long, but sometimes it just works out that way.

Pugs

·
Registered
203 Posts
Excuse my ignorance - What is a "battery Box"?

Hayseed

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
If you read the old bee books, queens were on occasions shipped half way around the world by steamer which could take months. If I remember correctly they often carried extra attendents to replace those that died. So my horse back estimate for your question is: much longer than you might think.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
We have found acceptance is much higher in cages without attendants. The candy hardness is likely due to the recipe used by the supplier. We have had queens from 2 queen units in queen banks for over a month and they have done fine when re-introduced. I've had queens in battery boxes, replentishing the nurse bees occaisionally and providing extra feed, for 3 weeks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts