Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the outside wall of the shed where I keep my unused bee equipment, so this whole area smells really nice. :D:D

But there are gaps where the wall joins that ceiling, as you can see, and I'm seeing a bunch of scout activity right there. I think a swarm wants to move in. I'm 99% sure they haven't moved in yet, because I ran a stethoscope all around that area tonight, and I didn't hear anything.

So I sprayed some Bee Quick into the gaps, and then a bunch of spray foam to try and seal it up.

But Bee Quick is designed to dissipate quickly. Are there are other repellents that are long lasting? Like cedar is to moths? Or can I use moth balls?

I'm also thinking about water meter cavities, as those attract swarms like they were designed for it.

60512654491__80B85A24-A62F-4288-AF1E-0B769507287C.jpg

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If scout bees are interested then give them a place. Hang a bait hive.
I've done that. There's a beautiful deep with 10 dawn frames, fully-stocked minibars, free WiFi, and some LGO, right there.

But I also want to actively discourage the scouts from exploring that wall.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I dont know whether Devil's Claw Root is bee repellent but it sure is strong and long lasting. I boiled some over in a microwave oven once and it didnt go away till I took it to the dump.

I have used Methyl Salicyllate (oil of wintergreen) to divert bees away from an entrance I want them to abandon or around the top of a shaker box. They dont care much for that. Dont know how long that one will last though.

Good luck-- keep your experiments out of your microwave!

·
Registered
559 Posts
I've done that. There's a beautiful deep with 10 dawn frames, fully-stocked minibars, free WiFi, and some LGO, right there.

But I also want to actively discourage the scouts from exploring that wall.
Did you have mead in the minibar?

Lee

1 - 8 of 8 Posts