1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
they don't even get it right 5 days in advance most of the time

·
Registered
323 Posts
This spring there was a study released about forecasting accuracy. All the usual suspects were included including government services. They found the most accurate forecaster was: The Farmers Almanac. Their Website indicates that they are shipping the 2015 volume now.

Aren't these the same people who forecast the upcoming hurricane season.?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Computer models also tell us that the earth is going to warm up, the seas are going to rise, and we're all either going to burn up or drown. How much you believe in them is up to you.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Computer models also tell us that the earth is going to warm up, the seas are going to rise, and we're all either going to burn up or drown. How much you believe in them is up to you.
I treat these people like hollywood actors. Entertaining, but messed up in the head.

·
Registered
453 Posts
don't MB live some place on the globe ...lots colder last winter and much cooler summer in Tn ...my part of the globe ... some places it's hotter and some places it's colder .. some places it's dryer and some places it's wetter ...almost like climate change

·
Registered
205 Posts
don't MB live some place on the globe ...lots colder last winter and much cooler summer in Tn ...my part of the globe ... some places it's hotter and some places it's colder .. some places it's dryer and some places it's wetter ...almost like climate change
Where is this place to check? It really comes down to one group wanting more government funding doesn't it?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
If you look at a chart of the Earth's climate over the past few millennia it's pretty erratic. If you look further back it's even more erratic. How anyone can claim see any trend whatsoever to such wildly vacillating temperatures and in particular, act like a slight upward trend in recent years has any meaning in the larger context is beyond me. The reason the Farmer's almanac is closer is because they look at climate patterns rather than weather and the odds of them being right are better that way. The Lakota used to say that every 7th winter was a bad one and every 7th 7th (i.e. 49th) winter was a really really bad one. They were looking at climate patterns.

·
Registered
388 Posts
If you look at a chart of the Earth's climate over the past few millennia it's pretty erratic. If you look further back it's even more erratic. How anyone can claim see any trend whatsoever to such wildly vacillating temperatures and in particular, act like a slight upward trend in recent years has any meaning in the larger context is beyond me. The reason the Farmer's almanac is closer is because they look at climate patterns rather than weather and the odds of them being right are better that way. The Lakota used to say that every 7th winter was a bad one and every 7th 7th (i.e. 49th) winter was a really really bad one. They were looking at climate patterns.
Heres hoping last winter was the 49th one!

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
Undoubtedly this winter will follow the last which we are told was again the hottest on record. Any biting cold you experience will be a self delusion as this trend of rapidly advancing heating and Climate change will require even more stringent measures to cut off the supplies of cheap energy. Who do you think you are? Only a Gore or one of the other Princes of the new faith should use energy.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I guess it all depends on what you view as 'normal'. Talking to folks in my home town, that have lived there for 10 years, they thought this last winter was brutally cold. Talking to my little sister, who has lived there for 50 years, she said 'yes, it's a cold one this winter, just like when we were kids growing up'.

They saw -40 there twice this winter. When I was a kid growing up, we would see that for days on end, at least 4 or 5 times over the winter. But they have just come off a 10 year stretch, where it never did get that cold over the winter.

Was it a cold winter, or a normal one ? The answer really depends on how far back you go to define 'normal'. For those that only look back over the last 10 or 15 years, yup, it was a cold one. For those that remember the 70's and 80's, it was perfectly normal.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
The Lakota used to say that every 7th winter was a bad one and every 7th 7th (i.e. 49th) winter was a really really bad one.
Wow. That statement is in my family history book, from the side that were Dust Bowl farmers, only it was about drought, not winter. I don't know if it specifies Lakota or just "Indians", I'll have to check.

Hmm.

K, here's what it says: "Old Indians warned the earliest homesteaders that a bad year occurred almost every seventh year, and that the seventh bad year would usher in a drought lasting for seven years."

Something about sevens, anyway.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Was it a cold winter, or a normal one ? The answer really depends on how far back you go to define 'normal'. For those that only look back over the last 10 or 15 years, yup, it was a cold one. For those that remember the 70's and 80's, it was perfectly normal.
The older I get, the colder and more inhumane winter gets.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I was born and raised in the mid west. I have never seen such a cool summer as this year. I am afraid we are in for another long and extremely cold winter. I plan to add extra insulation to my hives.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I was born and raised in the mid west. I have never seen such a cool summer as this year. I am afraid we are in for another long and extremely cold winter. I plan to add extra insulation to my hives.
That would probably be smart. The Farmer's Almanac link above (WRLCPA's link) states it will be exceptionally cold in my area this winter. The only reason I listen to Farmer's Almanac now is that last year around this time someone stated that Farmer's Almanac said it would be a harsh winter. I poo-poo'ed that, until it actually hit. Now I listen a little more closely to them. We'll see if they're right again.

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
I read an article a week ago that said the polar vortex would be back in Oct. up here, I said to my self, when did it leave sitting here on 8/15 with my insulated shirt on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts