Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on building a long, deep lang hive. Thanks to using this great forum, I've found answers to most of my questions. But, I have a couple more:

Should I use a top or bottom entrance or both and why?
(It will have a gabled roof, so a shimmed top cover isn't an option)

Should the entrance(s) be at the front or the sides and why?

Thanks in advance!

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Should I use a top or bottom entrance or both and why?

My hives are down low because of the wind. They blew over when they were up on legs. Down low there were skunk problems so I went to top entrances. But the other advantage was they winter better when the moist air (which is lighter than dry air) can escape.

>Should the entrance(s) be at the front or the sides and why?

I like to have my brood nest at one end going into winter. This is more likely if the entrance is on the end.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I've been very happy with the top entrances on the ends of my long hives. I just routed slots in the covering boards:

topenter1.jpg

This is shown upside down. The nice thing about this type of top entrance is that you can close the hive by flipping the covering board over, and if you want to super the hive, just put the super where the board was, and add the board to the top of the super.

feedertop.jpg

For more on building and keeping long hives, I wrote a little booklet for Kindle. You can find it on Amazon by searching my name: Ray Aldridge.

colorfulyard.jpg

Also, to echo what Michael said about wintering, I had a hive in northern NY winter just fine with a completely open top entrance, made like the ones shown above. No bottom entrance, no wrap. I expected it to die, because I forgot to narrow the entrance and it was a little light. Probably beginner's luck..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Michael - food for thought! And Ray, I like your method for using the top cover to make the entrance.
Again, thanks to you both!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts