Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading posts for some time now and have found some very interesting and informative information! Not that it is all that inportant, but I see very little mention of working with Long Lang. (TPH built to accept Lang. frames) type hives :scratch:
Just an observation thats all.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I built one overwinter this year. It has had bees in it for three weeks. So far so good. I made it wide enough to accommodate a standard lang frame and built it to medium frame depth. It will hold 33 frames. I made the top in two pieces - the shorter can double as a migratory cover for a standard lang super. As a result, I can super the hive and still keep all parts covered.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
NDnewbeek, any photos? Why are you trying it? Are you going to try to overwinter in it? I've considered one to try for IPM. It would make getting to the Drone frame really easy but I'm not sure if they would winter in it well. However, if they can winter in one there they'd be wearing tropical gear here.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I put a nuc into a long hive last year, and it did not do well here. We did have a really wet & cool summer, but I'm not sure that was the only factor. I even partitioned it so the long could "grow" as the hive did, but the girls would only go out so far and just stop. I wound up switching back to a standard Lang deep by the fall so I could stack their stores.

I can see where it could work where winters aren't so bad. None of the experienced local beeks run them. All was not lost tho as I re-cut the boards to make additional deeps & nucs.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Excellent feedback of your own experiment MGM, thanks! Glad you were able to make lemonaide from what was a lemon for you.

·
Registered
326 Posts
In some parts of Europe long hives with dadant frames are still in use and doing fine. They use queen excluders in the middle, etc....
Some beekeepers still swear by them. Easy to use, no lifting....

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I'm moving a nuc into one in a few weeks. I think it could work in the north. Dennis Murrell has a long hive in Wyoming that he says is his best producer. I'll be stacking medium honey supers on the rear half of a double long.

Here's a link.

Here's a link to Barry Berkey's long hives here at Bee Source.

Michael Bush has also run a long hive in Nebraska.

Wayne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts