Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I was wondering for those who have large yards how do you go about feeding. I'm mainly trying to figure out how do you transport the 2:1 or 1:1 to that yard to fill the feeders.

If you had like 50 hives out in a yard but say that yard was like 2 or more hours away how do you fill feeders. If I were going to use 2 gallon buckets on top of the hive lid (drill a hole in the top cover and use a cap to plug it when not in use) is that doable or will that cause fighting. I think I seen Michael Palmer use paint cans and put up to 5 on the frames themselves and use an extra box to cover it. I have seen people use large holding tanks of some sort with a pump and looks like a gas nozzle to fill them full of 1:1 or 2:1. Is this like a spray rig type of thing you just haul around in a trailer or truck bed? Where do you begin to look for that setup Mann Lake Dadant carry these things or some place like an ag store (John deere) also how do you go about mixing 500 gallons at a time. I assume you can only really mix 1:1 since there wouldn't be hot enough water to mix 2:1.

I have a friend of mine that asked if I would like to put hives on his property. He owns a large cattle ranch the only thing is it is about 2.5 hours away. But thinking of putting some hives out there and let them grow and split and develop over time and expand with them out there. I figure there is a lot easier faster way then mixing individual buckets up each week or every other week and taking them out there.

I seen 2 gallon feeders with a yellow feeding plug that you just turn upside down and put over the hole in the cover then plug the cover hole when done. I was thinking of using that method with them. Just not wanting to double up on buckets and haul out there each time they needed filled up.

How do yall feed multiple hives and mix it at yards that are further away? Thanks

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Justin, look into keeping your sugar water in circulation by way of a pump or devise to keep it stirred while mixing & transporting. Larger tanks can use motorized paddles or pumps to keep chemicals (sugar) in suspension for extended periods.

Check with places like Sprayer Specialities for options & ideas. https://www.sprayers.com/index.htm

·
Registered
236 Posts
Justin,
How often will you be visiting this yard? I have a yard with 20 or so double nucs that is about 40 minutes away and feed using the Mann Lake pro Feeder. These work well for me. https://www.mannlakeltd.com/shop-all-categories/hive-colony-maintenance/feeders

I mix 25lb bags of sugar at a time in 6 gallon buckets with my domestic hot water. I have the temp turned up high and it dissolves a 2:1 mix. I mix up 500lbs a weekend to feed 3 yards when needed. I would find the 2.5 hr ride more of a challenge.

I would love to see what you come up with for mixing.

AA

1 - 3 of 3 Posts