Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Sunday we had a small swarm; actually I'm not sure if it was a swarm or just a mating flight for a new queen.

I did my best to catch the swarm and put it in a nuc box. "Great" I thought. "A new hive to play with!" I guess something went wrong - either we didn't capture the queen or she decided she liked her old hive best - the result was that the nuc box held only a handful of bees when we checked it after dark.

Five days later we still have a small persistent clump of bees hanging on the branch where the swarm had been. Today when I finally went to put the nuc box away today I was very surprised to find about 20 bees in there, apparently trying to draw comb.

Not only that, each evening the bees that sat on the branch all day go into the nuc box and buzz up a storm.

I carefully inspected each frame but there isn't any queen. What do these lonely club members hope to do? Start a democracy without a queen?

How can I get this little club to go back to the hive? So far they have stubbornly resisted my efforts.
-
btw, pics of the swarm are at http://s00r.van.wessem.net:81/mnist/bees/swarm6_22/

[This message has been edited by mnist (edited June 28, 2003).]

·
Registered
111 Posts
You could use the newspaper method to re-install the bees. Place a sheet of newspaper on top of the strong hive and place the few bee in a hive body on top of the newspaper. By the time the bees eat through the paper they have the hive's 'scent' and are back in business. It worked for me last year with a medium sized hive and a queenless "clump"maybe 60-70 bees! It's a nice strong hive now...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
>It worked for me last year with a medium sized hive and a queenless "clump"maybe 60-70 bees! It's a nice strong hive now...

Thanks - I'll try that idea. I never read about this this happening to anyone before so I was at a loss.

Newbie that I am, Mike's idea of dumping them into the hive never even occurred to me. (duh)

[This message has been edited by mnist (edited June 28, 2003).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts