Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had said previously that I have family in SD w/ a huge farm. Is it possible to go to SD from E. TX w/ 40-50 hives and make a profit on honey? What is the average number of pounds per hive of surplus in this area of the state -
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

I understand this is probably a stupid question, just looking at options for next year.

Thanks for all the tips y'all have given me, beesource has changed the way I keep bees.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Making a profit will depend on if you sell whole sale or retail, your traveling expenses and where you put them and when you place them. So without knowing that it would be kinda impossible to give you a straight answer. Will they make honey...probably. How much depends on the area. Also you may want to check things out first. I know that some SD beeks are getting hit hard with losses so until they find out what's going on I would be hesitant to take my bees up there.

I am sure a SD beek could answer better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
South Dakota like Montana is a closed state and you can only put bees on registered locations 3 miles from any other beekeepers registered locations. South Dakota like Montana takes this very seriously and even arrests people for violating this law. First try and register the location and go from there.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone else? Thanks for the tip Flathead Honey. Will look into that. Do not think that there are any beekeeping neighbors.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Perhaps you will be a landowner-beekeeper and exempt from the 3-mile limit.:

From the state statute:
"State law mandates that each commercial apiary within the state must be three or more miles from the nearest commercial apiary.

Hobbyist beekeepers who operate 5 apiaries or less are exempt form the 3-mile limit, and their apiaries can be stocked with a maximum of ten hives. Landowner-beekeepers are also exempt from the 3-mile requirement, although they must still register their hives with the Agriculture Department. Temporary pollination permits, available from the Department of Agriculture, are also exempt from the 3-mile limit."

Also from the same website:

"Normally, the average annual production per hive is between 75 and 80 pounds nationwide. The average annual production per hive in South Dakota is estimated at 89 pounds from 1996 - 2000. Beeswax is a major byproduct of honey production in the state."

Wayne

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would find a commercial beek that runs in the 2 areas and piggy back with them. ie joint venture on shares.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
>>Landowner-beekeepers are also exempt from the 3-mile requirement, although they must still register their hives with the Agriculture Department.

Ya, I was wondering about that. Land owner rights trump SD registration by law

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The place that I would keep them is at my uncles farm. When i would not be doing bees i would be working the farm w/ him.

How many weeks would you need to be up there to catch the main flow?

Thanks

Kingfisher

1 - 9 of 9 Posts