Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving my hive, due to bear damage. To a more open spot in my yard. But its near a dirt road, like 30' or so off the road. Is that ok, to be so close to a dirt road? My road doesnt get really dusty but it is still dirt.

Just wondering, thanks.

Denise

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Dirt road is fine I'd think. Face the entrances away from the road if you can. The dust will be more of problem than the dirt, but unless you get clouds of dust wafting over the hives, I doubt you'll have any problems.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont get much dust, its not a bad road. But of course there is still some dust being a dirt road.

Thanks for the advice. I didnt want to move it to find out later it was a bad move!

I will face them away from the road for sure!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hopefully this new location will be far from where your bear problems occured, or electrified. If the hive is three miles away and next to a road, that bear still has a good nose at finding free honey again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh this one will be electrified. And not far from its old location, im on 2 acres. So its close still.

I had a dog kennel 10x10x6' tall, the bear climbed right over it. I was silly for thinking it would be ok, it was all year untill spring.. live and learn I suppose.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah, I learned that same hard lesson last year at about this same exact time of year. The bears love cool spring nights because after they knock over the hives the bees get so cold that when the bear comes back for round two of honey buffet, most of the bees are too cold to sting.

Structure fences just don't work with bears.

This might sound mean, but if you suspect that bear will be back tonight, you can aquaint him with the power of your fence. Pop a hole through a freshly drained metal anchovie can, and then wrap the hot wire into the can and smear some bacon grease and peanut butter in the can. That bear will be sure not to visit your fence again.

Granted. You don't need to do this to ensure that a fence works...I guess it just feels nice to give the bear a little payback without the use of a gun.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont have any bees yet, or the fence up yet. But I plan on baiting him/her, I dont want this to happen again. I didnt harvest any honey last year it was there first year, and when I inspected them this spring before the bear, they had survived the winter and so many folks around my area's bees didnt fair that well. I was so happy they lived, only to die 2 days later. So ya, Im hoping this time the bear also lives and learns :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts