Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum,
I cant put it off any longer, I have been thinking about keeping bees for years and this year I will finaly take the plunge. However I am a little unsure of the best place to place them on my property. What first seems most logical is on the north side of the house, between the house and a 5 foot fence, there is dappled shade to the east and the west is clear, it can be easily fenced off and there are bushes and large rocks that corden off the area.
I know I have read that it is better to put it at the south side of the house, but that is a high traffic area, I could put it at the bottom of my garden but I have 4 active kids that are always playing in the back and I would be worried a football might crash into the Hive.
Would it be worth getting a hardier strain in regards to the winter cold as I am not overly concerned about stings and I am more interested in keeping bees for the sake of it, the Honey is secondary. I would hate for them to die off next winter during a cold snap. I live in Colorado so it usually gets a good few dumps of snow and gets down to freezing on occasion.

Cheers in advance.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Some simple rules:

Hive entrance should face the South.
Hive should be put on some sort of stand. I use two or three empty pallets.
Exposure to Sun in at least early morning throughout the year.
Low traffic areas, if possible.
At least 100' from house, and or near pollen sources, orchards, flowers, etc.
With active kids, I'd enclose an area with a wooden fence so the bees will travel up and over all the commotion.
Yes, definitely a Russian strain. Virtually mite resistant and extreme cold tolerant. Very docile and easy to work with, I love them. Download anything you need from my honey bee page.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
There is what is best for the bees and there is what is best for you and most of the time you have to come to a compromise between the two. My bees currently sit on the east side yard of my house facing west...well here is a picture. I may move them just opposite, on the west side facing east to get more sun to help with SHB but where they are now is perfect for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A bit late , but thanks to the both of you. I have done some reading and i found that it seems that Bees tend to prefer full shade sites when they swarm so I dont think it is a problem for them to be in mostly shade.There really is no way I can put them anywhere else as I need my yard primarily for my kids and their friends to play in. They will probably forage less, and as long as they have adequate food and I take measures to reduce dampness I dont think there should be a problem putting them on the North side of the house.

·
Registered
429 Posts
in a worse case situation, you may have to monitor them in august, and monitor the stores they have for winter.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat...my hives will have to go on the north side, as the south side faces the street, east side faces the street, and there isn't a location on the west. But, I can place them up on the roof of a small shed at the back of the garage so they'll be out of traffic/access by unauthorized guests.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies, this is an update, but the bees did perfectly fine last year and produced tons of honey, they also wintered great and looked very healthy on first inspection. However with our inspection there was some humidity damage to the hive we had a bottom board on, perhaps the shade contributed to the overall dampness. We have since moved them to a friends farm as we are hoping to sell the house.
Its worth noting that when bees choose a new natural location it is usually in the shade.

http://naturalbeekeepingblog.blogspot.com/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts