Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Location of hives,

Some of you know my bees absconded my TBH so I am trying again but this time with two Langstroth hives, I am rethinking location. First let me say I have a double city lot with open field West and full woods South. My two locations are this...

1. Far SW corner of yard, no morning sun, only afternoon and I would have a 4' block wall West of hives to block winds, that will also block the low evening sun.

2. Right next to the south side of the house, it would get morning sun and no afternoon. It also sits where the house and added large garage totally blocks the winds. There is a sidewalk right in front of where the hives would sit but rarely used, but also near a driveway. There would be an amber dusk to dawn night light 15' above the hives. Much easier access than corner of yard. My biggest concern is the dusk to dawn.

Thanks
Jerry

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
You should put the hives in full sun for most of the day if not all. Helps to keep SHB away. They can keep the hive cool if they need it to be. The dusk to dawn light will cause you a headache. It messes with the bees sense of day time and from experience they will fly out at night over it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm with drlonzo - full sun is best. If that's not possible, I prefer morning sun to no morning sun.

Shelter from NW winter winds is my other big consideration (my bees are all in fields far from people).

Good luck!

-Pete

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In location 2 they would have total blockage of NW winds nice morning to early afternoon sun . location is closer to people and the dusk to dawn light.. I guess I am stuck as what one would be best... Those are the only two places.. ....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"My first concern is your safety"

You know Michael, with that said I am not putting them by the house... I did find a 3rd location that will give them more afternoon and evening sun. Still no early AM sun .....it is what it is... .. Thanks Jerry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts