Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today was the first warm day over 50 here in SE PA and I went into the hives. Bad news is that one of 2 died. Curiously when I pulled the frames and left them in the sun for a few minutes, the torpid bees on frames slowly started moving again. Alas, I found the queen and she was stone dead so all was lost.

I currently have Deep, deep, medium, medium were the two deeps are on the bottom and the mediums are mostly full honey supers. The cluster was right below the lower honey super within close proximity to the capped stores. In an effort to keep the brood nest open and prevent swarm mentality, I reversed the deeps so that the top deep with the main cluster and brood was now on the bottom with the mostly empty deep above it.

I closed up the hive feeling proud of my accomplishment only to fret later in the day that I had moved the stores AWAY from the cluster and brood and that they would no longer be able to keep everything warm. I do have some deeps with capped honey and can put those right above the brood if needed.

Anyway, here's the question for you all: should I put deep frames containing stores right above the cluster and brood for close proximal access or will all be OK? Opinions? We still have some cold weather ahead of us with nights at or below freezing although the 10 day forecast calls for highs in the 50's and lows in the 30's.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ok I will give you what I did. I had a hive that was starving. Bee butts hanging out and a ton of dead bees on the BB. Ok where there was brood I scratched a frames on each side of it full of honey with cold weather coming in,knowing that the cluster wont move much. I also made a mixture of caro and cane sugar and put it right over the brood and sqiushed it into the brood nest. That was two weeks ago today. Inspected the hives today,the honey and the sugar worked,they went through both deep frames on each side and the sugar. We got into the 40's in the last two weeks and the girls went through alot of honey. Now good brood and they are on their way. 60 and 50's this week but will feed. Good luck and hope I didnt make it too confusing. Peace Dave

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
surround the brood with frames of honey on the sides and above the broodnest. Place the frames in close, right up against the edges of the broodnest, and above the nest, but don't disturb any frames within the nest to do this. They'll eat thru the honey and turn it into brood for you as the nest expands. Feeding frames of honey or open nectar is always better than sugar or sugar water, if you have them, IMHO. Best luck to you.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Hi Dave,
I've read on here in the past that Caro is bad for bees. They said its not the same thing as HFCS.
Dan

Ok I will give you what I did. I had a hive that was starving. Bee butts hanging out and a ton of dead bees on the BB. Ok where there was brood I scratched a frames on each side of it full of honey with cold weather coming in,knowing that the cluster wont move much. I also made a mixture of caro and cane sugar and put it right over the brood and sqiushed it into the brood nest. That was two weeks ago today. Inspected the hives today,the honey and the sugar worked,they went through both deep frames on each side and the sugar. We got into the 40's in the last two weeks and the girls went through alot of honey. Now good brood and they are on their way. 60 and 50's this week but will feed. Good luck and hope I didnt make it too confusing. Peace Dave

·
Registered
508 Posts
That's correct, it has other ingredients in it and is processed a different way. I think it will give bees the scours just like if you boiled your sugar water. Not good for them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts